Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Can The Wolf of Wall Street Benefit from The Monuments Men's Move to 2014?

"Another one bites the dust!"

With The Monuments Men now exiting the 2013 awards season, I'm wondering what that means for its competition. Naturally, 12 Years a Slave is way out in front with Gravity behind, but Men's departure could make room for The Wolf of Wall Street (assuming the film wasn't in already).

My recent Oscar predictions indicated my hesitance to crown Wolf as a viable Best Picture nominee, given the state of the race and the competition. Plus, its release date change is cause for concern, at least in terms of campaigning, and I couldn't see Scorsese popping up in Best Director at all or the film getting nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. The field felt too crowded.

Now it looks like Wolf has a shot. Maybe not for DiCaprio's fourth nomination. Maybe not another nod for Scorsese's long-time editor Thelma Schoonmaker. But can the film get in a few categories now? It seems more plausible with Clooney's film out.

So, I've updated my predictions on the Oscar Predictions page. At the moment, I can see it nabbing Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay nods. This might be a quick decision that backfires, but such is the Oscar race.

4 comments:

  1. I seriously laugh every time I see that gif. I still find it a little strange that they are pushing MM to February of all places. I think WOWS could have a shot, especially for DiCaprio, though I think Hanks might be taking home Best Actor this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. February seems like an odd release date, but it's probably better financially. It feels more like a September release. I just don't see DiCaprio getting in, but I'd love to be wrong.

      Delete
  2. I was very interested to read Clooney's comments, saying that his film was not meant to be an Oscar contender, but rather something strictly entertaining. Pretty cool of him to push the film, in my opinion. No sense in sacrificing art for awards attention, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It does annoy me that several films have moved, but it does clear the field for more films at the Oscars. Hope TMM turns out to be a fun ride.

      Delete