Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bargain Bin Treasures


As I mentioned here (#18 and #19), I shop for bargain DVDs, which can yield some great finds for relatively little cost. Some awesome bargains I've found after the cut.



Godard Essential Director's Series set (out of print)
  Includes Breathless, Le Petit Soldat, Les Carabiniers, and Notre Musique
Amazon.com price: $299.00 (New) (Original price was around $55.00)
I paid: $4.00


The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Amazon.com price: $14.62
I paid: $2.00


Leon: The Professional (Deluxe Edition)
Amazon.com price: $12.99
I paid: $5.00


Magnolia (2 disc)
Amazon.com price: $17.99
I paid: $5.00


Saboteur
Amazon.com price: $11.07
I paid: $3.00


A Very Long Engagement
Amazon.com price: $14.97
I paid: $3.00


Atlantic City
Amazon.com price: $34.95
I paid: $3.00


New York, New York
Amazon.com price: $8.99
I paid: $3.00


Gattaca (Special Edition)
Amazon.com price: $10.47
I paid: $3.00


The Country Girl
Amazon.com price: $9.95
I paid: $3.00

These were all new, factory-sealed DVDs. I saved over $150 just with this list, paying $34 (tax not included) for what would cost $191 (plus S&H) through Amazon. (I calculated with the original price for the Godard set.) If you don't look in bargain bins, I'd highly recommend it because you never know what you'll find. And saving money always helps. 

16 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm not sure that Godard one can ever be beaten. Although once I found a stack of Kingdom Hospitals incorrectly priced at 99p instead of 9.99 in a sale (rrp was 49.99 at the time) at which point i picked up three sets. when i went back teh next day for more they were back up to 9.99 sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. That happens. The worst thing is when you pass on something like that, then go back to get it, and it's gone.

      Delete
  2. Dude you found some sweet deals. Especially the Godard boxset. I sometimes look in the bargain bins especially at halfprice books. (You can find $1 movies that have been opened once).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get used ones sometimes, but only at places that guarantee their used DVDs. And Black Friday sales are great too. I got Se7en and A History of Violence for $2 each one year.

      Delete
  3. I loathed A Very Long Engagement,Magnolia and Gattaca are ones I'd rewatch from time to time.

    What's the deal, do you buy films you have already seen, and would like to own and rewatch? I suppose there may not be a buying system at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't like A Very Long Engagement, Chris.

      Haha. No system really. If I see something I don't have that's cheap, I usually grab it, regardless of whether or not I've seen it yet.

      Delete
  4. We don't have many bargain bins around in DVD shops that I go to, mostly sales, but we do have a second hand shop called The Computer Exchange, which is rife full of gems for about 75p - £1, though a lot of the stuff there is in the £5 bracket.

    You picked up some good 'ens for decent prices though! And the Godard sale is really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Godard set was a puzzler. They actually had 5 or 6 copies of it, so it wasn't like I just found a random copy.

      Delete
  5. Damn man, superb grabs. I love finding a great film in one of those bargain bins. You're like, "Wait... is this supposed to be here?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Couldn't have said it better myself man.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You definitely hit the mother lode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been fortunate to find some great deals. These were just a few really great ones. I just picked up Gilda for $3 recently, for instance.

      Delete
  7. Wow, lots of great deals here. So have you seen all of 'em and love them, or you bought them anyway 'cause they're cheap? I've been curious about 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped,' what do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen and love all of 'em, Ruth. "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" was great. I loved the performances, and the way the story was told was interesting. Also, Melanie Laurent makes a brief appearance. :) I'd recommend it, but it's been over a year since I saw it, so it's not fresh in my mind.

      Delete
  8. Amazing deals Josh. I too hunt around for bargains -- especially when it comes to $6/$7 Blu-ray films.

    Godard find is unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually glance at bargain Blu-rays, but I don't get them as often. Thanks for stopping by Sam.

      Delete