Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: The Bourne Legacy (2012)

"I give up. Where's Damon?"

Directed by Tony Gilroy
Produced by Patrick Crowley, Frank Marshall, Ben Smith, and Jeffrey M. Weiner
Written by Tony Gilroy and Dan Gilroy; characters by Robert Ludlum
Starring Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Joan Allen, and Albert Finney

***

What goes on in the world of Jason Bourne is not all about the ex-CIA assassin. That much is clear in Tony Gilroy's addendum that occurs during the events of The Bourne Ultimatum. Instead of Matt Damon's popular character, the film's protagonist is Aaron Cross (Renner), a field agent who is attacked by his own organization at a training facility in Alaska. Essentially, the Bourne fiasco has created a situation in which CIA man Eric Byer's (Norton) organization determines that all Outcome agents - Cross included - should be removed from the equation. But Cross escapes and teams up with the scientist Dr. Marta Shearing (Weisz), who takes him across the globe to get an injection that should eliminate the need for the program's enhancement pills he has been using. Then they are chased around a city in the Philippines by a series of government agents. And...that's it really.

This is hardly a bad film, but it is hardly a worthwhile one either. For one thing, the look of the film is not on par with Supremacy and Ultimatum. I don't mean to compare it to those films, because those were actual Bourne films. Still, the fact remains that this looks more like Identity, which is more sleek than gritty. The handheld style is greatly missed here. Performance-wise, there is nothing to complain about, yet nothing to rejoice in either. Renner, Weisz, Norton, and company do just fine. (Where was Joan Allen? Blink and you'll miss her.) This film is pure entertainment from a proven writer/director and a talented cast. And that's ok. The problem is that it's not much besides that. The realism has been watered down to the point that Cross doesn't appear physically weak at all. Granted, he's been taking pills to enhance his mind and body, so that part of the story that gets a halfhearted pass. If a sequel is a must (and it almost certainly is), bring back Damon and Greengrass, so that audiences can have the gravitas incorporated with the action.

1. The Bourne Supremacy - ****
2. The Bourne Ultimatum - ****
3. The Bourne Identity - ****
4. The Bourne Legacy - ***

Oscar Potential: Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you liked Supremacy this much? For me it was the weakest out of three, but again, I only saw it once. I'm definetly gonna catch Legacy but after all those reviews that say it's mediocre I'm not holding my breath for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Supremacy the most, and it's grown on me over the years. It's one I'll usually watch some of if I catch it on TV, along with the other two films. I enjoyed Legacy, even if it was pointless, so I'd slightly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. Great review. Nothing worse than a mediocre film, eh. The main problem I have with this, and with most reboots, is how unnecessary they are. I mean with Pirates of the Carribean or this or Indiana Jones, who was asking for a fourth one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, the film was a big step down from the previous three, but I still enjoyed it. The Pirates and Indiana Jones examples are films that I have a soft spot for. Though, I'll admit they're not very good.

      Delete
    2. I would actually argue the fact that this is an "unnecessary reboot." First of all, I'd call it a spin-off, since Bourne is still out there and hasn't been affected by this story in any way.

      Second... sure it's not necessary per se, but I wouldn't say it's a bad idea. I have zero interest in seeing a spin-off concerning Will Turner's blacksmith mentor, or Indy's archeology student chasing down a new artifact (well actually, that coul- nevermind).

      But now they've established a world with a whole bunch of genetically engineered superspies being hunted down and exterminated, by the very government that created them. I think that leaves a few possibilities open. Personally I wanted to know how that woman became part of the program that seems like such a boys' club! Spin-off #2 perhaps??

      Delete
    3. I agree that it's not a reboot. And I don't think it was a bad idea, but the execution of that idea could've been much better. I wouldn't mind a sequel, but I'd prefer that it brought back Damon and Greengrass. Legacy leaves things open, so it could happen. Thanks for stopping by Tippi!

      Delete
  3. I have not seen the film so I can't say its a reboot. I will say I find it unnecessary as I thought that Ultimatum left the franchise on a great note. Legacy may still be great and different but I think it was for money more than the fact that people really wanted this film. Oh and I do love Pirates and Indiana Jones just not the fourth entries. I'm sorry if I'm being cynical about this film I just am let down by new entries for money 90% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legacy is good, but nothing special. Despite the shortcomings of the 4th IJ film and the Pirates sequels, I like ALL the Indiana Jones and Pirates films. I know I'm alone here. :)

      Delete
  4. Great review:D I'm going to follow your logs. I'm new here so I'm just searching for logs that would interest me in making them. Going to do movie reviews as one of them now:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and welcome! Hope you like what you find here. :)

      Delete