Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review: Lawless (2012)

LaBeouf and Hardy as bootlegging brothers.

Directed by John Hillcoat
Produced by Michael Benaroya, Megan Ellison, Lucy Fisher, and Douglas Wick
Written by Nick Cave (screenplay); Matt Bondurant (book)
Starring Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain, Jason Clarke, and Guy Pearce

***

Hillcoat's new film tells the story of the infamous bootlegging Bondurant brothers: Jack (LaBeouf), Forrest (Hardy), and Howard (Clarke). The year is 1931, and the boys are quite successful at moonshining in Franklin County, Virginia. Being the eldest, Forrest and Howard run the business, while Jack drives the merchandise. Everything changes when Deputy Charlie Rakes (Pearce) moves in from the city and tries to intimidate them. The two oldest brothers stand up to him, which sparks a war that soon drags Jack into the fight. In the midst of this battle, Forrest and Jack find love interests in Maggie Beauford (Chastain), a former dancer from the city, and Bertha Minnix (Wasikowska), the preacher's daughter. Blood is repeatedly shed on both sides, and the three brothers must take a stand to bring down Rakes once and for all.

This film plays like a potboiler concerned with characters, but it doesn't allow them to shine. Many of the scenes are dry and lifeless. In terms of plot, the narrative is divided between Forrest and Jack, as both are kicked down again and again by the law. There's no clear focus on where this film wants to go, but a resolution manages to come out of all this violence. If this is a faithful adaptation (I haven't read the book.), then this story probably works much better in the literary format. Still, the film contains solid performances from the innocent LaBeouf and the stoic Hardy, and Pearce and Oldman (as gangster Floyd Banner) give scenery-chewing performances in their small roles. Though the rest of the cast is good, they don't have much to do in their underwritten parts. It may seem like I'm putting the film down, but it's still got a lot to offer. Beautifully shot and wonderfully crafted, this could be a film that only improves with additional viewings. For now, I'd recommend it with the note that it's a slight letdown and might not be for everybody.

Oscar Potential: Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design

12 comments:

  1. Would you recommend seeing this in theaters? I'm thinking of seeing it tomorrow. I've read reviews both praising it and saying it's just eh, but I heard it's still a lot of violent awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd slightly recommend seeing it in theaters, but I think it will play well on DVD too. Though it's not essential, the look of the film makes it worth seeing on the big screen. If you do see it, hope you don't think it was a waste of time. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by Nick!

      Delete
  2. Damn LaBeouf, how does this guy keep being in the movies? He annoys me even more than Timberlake. If it wasn't for him maybe I'd even see this one in theatres, but I'll probably catch it on DVD. Hope it's better than that mess of a movie Public Enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm one of the few LaBeouf fans in the world, so I'm glad he's taking more serious role now. The film isn't better than Public Enemies, which I've seen a few times and love, so you might think this was worse than I did.

      Delete
  3. Ew, I hated Public Enemies! Alas, I love Hillcoat. The Proposition is a modern masterpiece and The Road, while not as good as the novel, is highly underrated. I've heard the same concerns you mention in your review from other friends who have seen it, so I'm anticipating this to be lesser Hillcoat, but I'm still stoked to see it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I completely agree on The Proposition, but I actually prefer Public Enemies to The Road. Sorry, but I just don't see what's so bad about it.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like this is worth seeing for the acting and film making, even if the story isn't as well developed as it could be. I wonder if this is one of those movies you'd enjoy more if you'd read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Reading the book first could help, but I'm curious about how faithful the film is to it. I would guess that it is probably very close to the book.

      Delete
  5. You had me at Nick Cave, his writing is quite unique to cinema, sounds very much like a DVD viewing for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This should play well on DVD, but it's not on the level of The Proposition. I do want to see it again though.

      Delete
    2. Turns out it only took being the B-side to Looper for me to see this on the big screen. You weren't exaggerating in saying it isn't on the same level as The Proposition were you!

      Nick Cave sort of let me down here, but I guess it's the source material that was at fault first. The piece of historical fiction based on the guys family history obviously went through the motions of genre 101 plot points and Nick Cave's embellishments couldn't save it. As I mentioned to Alex, the opening scene with the pig tells you everything that is going to happen in this film and THAT is unforgivable.

      Neither could John Hillcoat's beautiful cinematography. I'm glad I saw it at the cinema because it wouldn't have been as nice to look at on my TV.

      Delete
    3. Haha. I warned you! ;)

      Yeah, Cave isn't completely to blame, but still...

      A little screen wouldn't do it justice, for sure. Too bad the film isn't better.

      Delete