Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Mini-Reviews: Inherent Vice, Foxcatcher and American Sniper


Inherent Vice


Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Produced by Daniel Lupi, JoAnne Sellar and Paul Thomas Anderson
Written by Paul Thomas Anderson
Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Owen Wilson, Katherine Waterston, Reese Witherspoon, Benecio Del Toro, Jena Malone, Maya Rudolph and Martin Short

A

Private detective Larry "Doc" Sportello is drawn into a series of bizarre events after his former girlfriend goes missing.

Stories don't always have to make sense, and this one might not. Still, it's a remarkably coherent fog that Anderson has produced. Phoenix mumbles and stumbles around, while Brolin chews the scenery and Waterston breathes an air of mystery into the works. Naturally, the film is very strong below the line, but the performances and loose storytelling approach are the film's strongest assets. For fans of noir and detective stories, it's a must, and Anderson's latest is endlessly entertaining. Don't think too much about it, though. Just relax and enjoy the crazy ride.

Oscar Tally: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design

Foxcatcher


Directed by Bennett Miller
Produced by Megan Ellison, Bennett Miller, Jon Kilik and Anthony Bregman
Written by E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman
Starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo and Vanessa Redgrave

A-

Eccentric millionaire John E. du Pont invites Mark and Dave Schultz, two Olympic wrestlers, to train on his estate.

Miller's latest is slightly disappointing, albeit very well-made. Though it's as tight as a drum tonally, it does drag in the middle, which could have benefited from a little trimming. (I'm not sure the original cut - over four hours long - would be any easier to sit through.) Of course, the cast deliver excellent performances, especially Tatum and Ruffalo, but Carell is, admittedly, somewhat lost here. His performance is menacing and unhinged at times, while stilted and almost laughable at others. Miller's talent as a director in undeniable, yet this film is mostly a mixed bag that's often brilliant.

Oscar Tally: Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Makeup and Hairstyling

American Sniper


Directed by Clint Eastwood
Produced by Clint Eastwood, Bradley Cooper, Andrew Lazar, Robert Lorenz and Peter Morgan
Written by Jason Hall
Starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller

B+

Sniper Chris Kyle spends four tours of duty oversees, while his family wait for his safe return to the U.S.

Eastwood's approach can be too much at times, and not enough at others. Here he finds a happy medium, despite the film taking controversial liberties with the depiction of the real Chris Kyle. The film has a number of tense action sequences, and the performances by Cooper and Miller (so good here) make up for some of the corny dialogue. However, the editing is often more jarring than fluid, and the film feels a bit too cold, clinical and overly patriotic at times. While the Eastwood touch is one thing, the Kathryn Bigelow touch might've been more interesting.

Oscar Tally: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing

14 comments:

  1. Nice reviews. I'm so pissed that my theater got rid of Inherent Vice after only having it for two weeks. I missed it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Oh, that sucks. I missed Under the Skin in theaters, but it only played near me for one week!

      Delete
  2. As always, great reviews! I still have to see all of these :-(

    The way you describe Inherent Vice feels so perfect...I can't wait to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to get your thoughts on Inherent Vice. I've seen it twice, and it's brilliant. PTA's Oscar nod is pretty special.

      Delete
  3. Great reviews. I loved Foxcatcher, especially the performances and the overall mood, but I was less keen on American Sniper. I thought it had a lot of potential but Eastwood tried to cram too much in and I felt it left the film a little confused. I'm really looking forward to seeing Inherent Vice when it's released here in the UK in a couple of weeks. Your description, 'remarkably coherent fog' has me very intrigued :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think Eastwood's crammed approach to American Sniper might've worked for Kathryn Bigelow, given her clinical approach in Zero Dark Thirty. Haha, Inherent Vice is insane, but so much fun. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  4. I love these mini-reviews -- concise but richly informative. I definitely liked Foxcatcher, and I didn't mind the fact that it dragged a bit because it seemed to fit the story somehow. American Sniper will probably be one of the next movies I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Foxcatcher was definitely a well-told story, but the noticeable length of the film didn't really fit for me. Though, I don't think there was really anything that *had* to be trimmed. Hope you like American Sniper. Despite the controversy, it does have some merit.

      Delete
  5. Great reviews! I absolutely loved Inherent Vice, I think you described it perfectly. Foxcatcher was also great, I can understand why it might have dragged but it kept me engaged throughout. American Sniper... Cooper and Miller are great, Eastwood's direction is fine, but it really didn't work for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Inherent Vice is just a blast. Yeah, I think Foxcatcher could've been a little shorter, but I don't know what I'd cut from it. Sniper is very divisive. I liked it overall, though.

      Delete
  6. Really cool that you dug Vice that much. I actually liked it a lot more the second time, because I allowed myself to not fully follow the plot. Just let it wash over you, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, it's my #4 of the year right now. I've also seen it twice, and I can't wait to check it out again!

      Delete
  7. Great reviews here Josh! I might rent Inherent Vice, the trailer was hilarious and I generally like Joaquin Phoenix. Agree that Foxcatcher is well-crafted & well-acted though it's not exactly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Inherent Vice is very fun, and different from other PTA films. I'm so glad Bennett Miller was nominated for Foxcatcher, as I think his direction is the film's strongest asset.

      Delete