Thursday, January 1, 2015

Films I Saw in December

The Birth of a Nation

Happy New Year! I've decided to switch from a 4-star rating scale to a letter grade system this year, so I'm starting with this post. I've also made a note of this on the reviews page, since I'm not going to update all of my pre-2015 posts to letter grades.

The Best:

1. The Birth of a Nation - A
2. The Skeleton Twins - A-
3. Cold in July - A-
4. Like Father, Like Son - A-
5. Abuse of Weakness - A-
6. The Game - A-
7. The Imitation Game - B+
8. The One I Love - B+
9. The Wind Rises - B+
10. The Babadook - B

The Rest:

Adventures in Babysitting - B
Annie (2014) - B-
Big Eyes - B-
Exodus: Gods and Kings - B-
God's Pocket - B-
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - B
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - C+
Into the Woods - B
Listen Up Philip - D
Pizza Shop: The Movie - D
The Theory of Everything - B
The Trip to Italy - B
Unbroken - B
Wild - B
The World According to Garp - B

Rewatched:

The Adventures of Tintin - B+
Calvary - A+
Dom Hemingway - B
The Immigrant (2014) - A+
Interstellar - A
It's a Wonderful Life - A+
Locke - A
Love Actually - A
A Most Wanted Man - A
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - B
The Polar Express - A
Starred Up - A
White Christmas - A

38 Films Watched - 25 New, 13 Rewatched

10 comments:

  1. You did good! Except for Listen Up Phillip, whatever that's about. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lol. I've seen Listen Up Philip near the top of some people's top 10 lists. I just can't with that movie.

      Delete
  2. Excellent stuff as always. I haven't counted them up but this might be the first month I was anywhere near you in quantity watched. Off the top of my head I think I hit 30 in December. I'm proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Great job! I've enjoyed watching less than I was for the CinSpecs, as well as rewatching more films. Cramming in 50+ movies a month was daunting.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are such a fan of It's a Wonderful Life. It is sappy, but I never get tired of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a classic. Typical Capra, but I love Capra. :)

      Delete
  4. "Only" 38 Josh? You're slipping, he..he..

    Seems like lots of ppl are rewatching Love Actually this Christmas, I did that too but only a few segments. Well, looks like you like Into the Woods and The Hobbit 3 more than I did. I'm glad I gave Exodus a shot though, it's really not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm just glad that I don't feel the need to cram in so many movies now that I've finished my weekly CinSpec posts. (I still need to update all of them to images, though.) :)

      Love Actually is brilliant. Just a delightful movie. Yeah, I liked Into the Woods and The Hobbit 3 well enough, and Exodus wasn't terrible.

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy New Year to you too! Have a great 2015!

    I'm going to skip 3rd Hobbitt and new Hunger Games, I just lost interest in following those franchises, and the reviews seem to be mixed.
    Like Father, Like Son is a film I want to see before I publish my best of 2014. What did you dislike about Listen Up Philip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! The same to you. :)

      I'm tired of The Hunger Games, but I'll finish it, since I only have one film left. The third Hobbit was action-packed like the second, and much better than bloated first one.

      Like Father, Like Son will likely make my honorable mentions, but I have several films ahead of it already. I disliked pretty much everything about Listen Up Philip, actually. It felt like a shallow, unoriginal exercise, and I just couldn't get into it at all. Though, I can see why some people love it.

      Delete