Thursday, May 9, 2013

Top 10 Leonardo DiCaprio Performances


With The Great Gatsby out tomorrow and The Wolf of Wall Street just months away, I decided to take a crack at this list. Note: I haven't seen all of his work from the 1990s yet.

10. Titanic (1997)
Role: Jack Dawson
Quote: "Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise."
Recognition: Golden Globe and Satellite Award noms

9. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
Role: Arnie Grape
Quote: "I'm having a birthday party, but you're not invited, but you can come if you want."
Recognition: NBR win; Oscar and Golden Globe noms

8. J. Edgar (2011)
Role: J. Edgar Hoover
Quote: "I don't need to tell you that, what determines a man's legacy is often what isn't seen."
Recognition: Golden Globe, SAG, and Critics Choice noms

7. Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Role: Romeo Montague
Quote: "I am Fortune's fool!"
Recognition: MTV Movie Award nom

6. The Aviator (2004)
Role: Howard Hughes
Quote: "Sometimes I truly fear that I... am losing my mind."
Recognition: Golden Globe win; Oscar, BAFTA, and SAG noms

5. Catch Me If You Can (2002)
Role: Frank William Abagnale Jr.
Quote: "Ah, people only know what you tell them, Carl."
Recognition: Golden Globe and MTV Movie Award noms

4. Django Unchained (2012)
Role: Calvin Candie
Quote: "Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention."
Recognition: NBR win; Golden Globe nom

3. Revolutionary Road (2008)
Role: Frank Wheeler
Quote: "I want to feel things. Really feel them."
Recognition: Golden Globe and Satellite Award noms

2. Shutter Island (2010)
Role: Teddy Daniels
Quote: "Pull yourself together, Teddy. Pull yourself together."
Recognition: Teen Choice Award win; Saturn Award nom

1. The Departed (2006)
Role: William "Billy" Costigan Jr.
Quote: "Do you want him to chop me up and feed me to the poor, huh, is that what you guys want?"
Recognition: BAFTA, Golden Globe, SAG, and Critics Choice noms

12 comments:

  1. After seeing this list I kinda wanna have a Leonardo DiCaprio movie marathon. He's so wonderful. My favourite performance of his is in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, followed by (in order) The Aviator, Revolutionary Road, Django Unchained, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, The Departed, Romeo + Juliet, J. Edgar and The Basketball Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great. I love that our lists are so similar. I still need to see The Basketball Diaries.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I think I'd replace Titanic and Romeo and Juliet with Gangs of New York and Blood Diamond. I really enjoyed those two.

    Someone please give Leo an Oscar soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those are good performances too.

      Yes, please!

      Delete
  3. I was just looking at Fogs' list on this. He's got quite a variety of roles so far, good for him. Nice to see Romeo & Juliet on here, that's not on Fogs list but he did list Inception which I agree. Have you seen him in Total Eclipse where he plays French poet Arthur Rimbaud? That's quite a brave role for a young actor as there's actually a gay sex scene in it with him and David Thewlis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Inception would make my list of top DiCaprio films, for sure. The performance would probably be my #11 or #12.

      I've seen a little of that film on TV, but I need to watch the whole thing.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Josh! I lost interest in DiCaprio as an actor for a while during the Titanic era when he achieved mainstream popularity and women of my generation were on about how "hot" he is. I'm just weird that way. :-) But in recent years, I've started to appreciate him again. What a terrific actor.

    I guess my favorites among his roles are What's Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life, and Django. I also agree that he was fantastic in Shutter Island and Catch me If You Can. I haven't see The Departed and Revolutionary Road yet, though they've been on my list for ages.

    When are they going to give this man an Oscar already?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! Haha, I think I first thought of him as great actor in Catch Me If You Can.

      I still need to see This Boy's Life. Ooh, you should definitely check those out. He was Oscar-worthy in both of them.

      Indeed. I hope he gets one at some point. I, of course, think he should've won for The Departed. ;)

      Delete
    2. He had me hooked in What's Eating Gilbert Grape shortly after it came to DVD -- showing my age here. ;-) I will definitely get to The Departed soon.

      Delete
    3. Haha, can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Departed!

      Delete
  5. Excellent list. I go back and forth with his work in The Departed and Revolutionary Road for the top spot. They're such different films, but he is so combustible in both of them. What a fine actor he turned into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I can see why you'd go back and forth on them. He's so great in both.

      Delete