|Alexandre Desplat had a really good year.|
Here are my favorite scores from last year. This category was very crowded, so I left out a lot of great ones. My top picks are almost interchangeable, but I managed to settle on a ranking.
25. The Boxtrolls (Dario Marianelli)
24. Metro Manila (Robin Foster)
23. The Rover (Antony Partos)
22. The Raid 2 (Aria Prayogi, Joseph Trapanese, Fajar Yuskemal)
21. Godzilla (Alexandre Desplat)
20. Paddington (Nick Urata)
19. Inherent Vice (Jonny Greenwood)
18. Snowpiercer (Marco Beltrami)
17. Only Lovers Left Alive (Josef Van Wissem and SQÜRL)
16. The Immigrant (Christopher Spelman)
15. Calvary (Patrick Cassidy)
14. The Double (Andrew Hewitt)
13. Birdman (Antonio Sanchez)
12. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Alexandre Desplat)
11. Fury (Steven Price)
10. Palo Alto (Devonte Hynes)
9. The Imitation Game (Alexandre Desplat)
8. Gone Girl (Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross)
7. You and the Night (M83)
6. Tom at the Farm (Gabriel Yared)
5. Noah (Clint Mansell)
4. Interstellar (Hans Zimmer)
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Hans Zimmer and The Magnificent Six)
2. Cold in July (Jeff Grace)
1. Under the Skin (Mica Levi)
OMG! Under the Skin snags it! So much greatness this year. I'm glad Noah remained in your top five. I have no idea what's going to shake down in my personal awards. I am at that point where adding a new score to my top twelve means deleting one I really love from it...so it's painful.ReplyDelete
Yeah, I kept changing the order. Choosing a mere 5 for the CinSpecs hurt, but I'm happy with the lineup.Delete
I love how many picks we share! Great year for scores!ReplyDelete
Indeed. Such a strong year. A lot of these would make my top 5 in other years.Delete
Great list! Glad to see Under the Skin, The Rover and Noah on there.ReplyDelete
Thanks! Oh, thrilled to hear you're also a fan of The Rover's score.Delete
So glad to see Under the Skin as your number 1! What a haunting score, right??ReplyDelete
It's very haunting. Knew the Oscars wouldn't go for it, but I'm glad that BAFTA nominated it.Delete
I haven’t listened to Greenwood’s score for Inherent Vice on its own yet, this was a great reminder that I need to ASAP!ReplyDelete
That Palo Alto score is sensational. I absolutely love it.
The You and the Night score is my be all end all. It absolutely slays me. “Un nouveau soleil” gives me 6:47 minutes worth of chills. That lift off at 1:53 is so epic. Ah, I just love it. So happy you included it here. "La la la la la laaaaaaa"
Greenwood's work on Inherent Vice is solid. It was hard trying to rank it.Delete
Palo Alto's music was one of the film's strongest aspects. I wish that film had received more love.
Knew you'd appreciate the You and the Night mention. It's a fantastic score, and I would've loved to nominate it.