Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Films I Saw in December

Holy Motors (dir. Leos Carax)
The Best:
Alps (x2) - ****
Django Unchained - ****
Headhunters - ****
Holy Motors - ****
The Kid with a Bike - ****
Killing Them Softly - ***1/2
Les Misérables (x2) - ****
Shoeshine - ****
The Son - ****
The Turin Horse - ****

More after the cut.

The Rest:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - **
Albatross - **
Anna Karenina - ***
Attenberg - ***1/2
Detachment - ***1/2
The Devil's Double - ***
Elena - **1/2
The Fitzgerald Family Christmas - ***1/2
The Forgivenesss of Blood - **1/2
4:44 Last Day on Earth - *
Goodbye First Love - ***
Hitchcock - **
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - ***
Killer Joe - ***
Lay the Favorite - **1/2
A Little Bit of Heaven - 1/2
The Loneliest Planet - ***
A Propos de Nice - ***1/2
The Queen of Versailles - **1/2
The Raid: Redemption - ***1/2
Silver Linings Playbook - ***1/2
Sleepwalk With Me - ***
Trishna - **
The Vow - **
Wanderlust - **1/2
The Woman in the Fifth - **

Rewatched:
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - ****
A Christmas Story - **1/2
Christmas Vacation - ***
The Dark Knight Rises (x2) - ****
Declaration of War - ***1/2
The Deep Blue Sea - ***1/2
Elf - **1/2
The Grey - ***1/2
It's a Wonderful Life - ****
Love Actually - ****
Oslo, August 31st - ****
Pitch Perfect - ****
Skyfall - ****
White Christmas - ****

50 Films Watched - 36 New, 14 Rewatched

Note: Holy Motors is the best film I saw in December, but as most films in my top ten are from 2012, I listed them alphabetically for this month. This way, I don't give away the order of some films that will appear on my year-end list.

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see Holy Motors! I wish I had more time in a day...I really need to see more films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed some people actually saw 100 films last month for the December Challenge. There's no way I could do that!

      Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Holy Motors! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to see Holy Motors some time next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you dug Alps. I wrote a fairly long mini-review of that, if you're interested:
    http://tinyurl.com/an6cfje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Chris. Glad you liked the film. It's one of 2012's best IMO.

      Delete
  4. You are a prolific movie viewer! I'm glad you liked The Kid With the Bike so much -- I just put that at the top of my Netflix instant queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, some people tried to watch 100 movies last month for the December Challenge. I couldn't get anywhere near that if I tried, though. ;)

      Yay! I love the Dardenne brothers' films, so I'm glad I finally caught up with (and loved) The Kid with a Bike and The Son.

      Delete
  5. Boy you are very prolific indeed. Curious to see Holy Motors when it's out on rental. Glad you like Headhunters too, I put that in my Top 10 Rentals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if Holy Motors is your kind of film, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.

      I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Headhunters. It won't make my top 10, but I loved it regardless.

      Delete