Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Consider: Emma Stone for Magic in the Moonlight

Stone is the highlight of Allen's critical flop.

Though by no means original or groundbreaking, Woody Allen's new romantic comedy is his best B movie in years. Moreover, it features a lovable performance from Emma Stone, who might be Oscar bound for Birdman this year. She has almost no shot at scoring a nomination anywhere, especially if she's heavily campaigned for Alejandro González Iñárritu's film, but her luminous turn as Sophie is a refreshing addition to the Allen canon of scene-stealing roles.

While it would conflict with her Birdman placement, a Best Supporting Actress campaign wouldn't be too much of a stretch, given that most of the film focuses on Colin Firth's Stanley and his brief interactions with Sophie. Really, Stone is the best thing in Allen's film, and she deserves some consideration, even if this film is essentially D.O.A.

Check out a snippet of Emma's performance below.

8 comments:

  1. I'm seeing it this weekend, is it at least fun? Stone seems to fit the role so well, she is just adorable so I'm not surprised she is good in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. (It's way better than To Rome with Love.) Oh, Stone is so lovely in this role. Hope you enjoy the movie!

      Delete
    2. Oh, it would be hard to make a movie worse than To Rome with Love, it was such a disaster.

      I hope so too, I usually see Allen movies on DVDs but it's a rare occasion when we are not getting his new movie several months behind everyone else so I'll see it in theatre, probably with a lot of middle aged women sighing at Colin Firth at the audience :)

      Delete
    3. Haha, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the movie!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Emma Stone, and I can't wait to see Birdman when it finally comes out in the UK. I hope she gets at least a nomination - she deserves it!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's awesome! I think she could be nominated, but I'm not sure of her chances.

      Delete
  3. I love this girl and am so happy she's having this banner year...I only wish that this film had had a better reception, for her sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, critics killed this one. It was fun, but it was Allen on cruise control. Still, Stone is brilliant! She's my Supporting Actress runner-up right now!

      Delete