Wednesday, December 19, 2012

85th Oscar Wishlist


The Oscar ballots are out now, so here are some wishes I have for the nominations in January.

Denis Lavant (Holy Motors) for Best Actor

Since it isn't eligible for the Song and Makeup categories, this is the film's best shot.

Anders Danielson Lie (Oslo, August 31st) for Best Actor

Though it's even more of a longshot than Lavant, that doesn't make it less deserving.

Linda Cardellini (Return) for Best Actress

The Independent Spirit Awards took notice of her powerful performance. Here's hoping the actors branch consider it.

Simon Russell Beale (The Deep Blue Sea) for Best Supporting Actor

Rachel Weisz has a slight chance, but her co-star also delivers a superb performance.

Rosemarie DeWitt (Your Sister's Sister) for Best Supporting Actress

Again, the Independent Spirit Awards recognized her. AMPAS will probably overlook this performance though.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower for Best Adapted Screenplay

It's a fine screenplay that's received attention from critics groups, and the writers branch usually give us one or two surprises.

Skyfall for Best Cinematography

Needs no explanation. Though it's probably in, I had to mention it.

Moonrise Kingdom for Best Costume Design

The production design is also worthy, but I'd settle for this great work being nominated.

Cloud Atlas for Best Original Score

I've already made my case for Best Picture, which will never happen. But this could actually happen, and deservedly so.

The Dark Knight Rises for Best Sound Mixing/Editing

This film has almost no chance in other categories, except for Best Visual Effects. Here's hoping it gets nominated in these categories at least.

10 comments:

  1. Rosearie DeWitt !! Lets Do It(See what I did there?? :D)
    Skyfall really should get nominated. There really aren't many movies better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the inclusion of Skyfall and TDKR on the list. Cloud Atlas definitely deserves the nomination too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are possible nominations. Really hope the Academy doesn't overlook them.

      Delete
  3. You are the only person I've seen mention Simon Russell Beale's award-worthy performance -- I love that! He was wonderful, even better than Weisz. He did so much with great subtlety. I love the shout-out for Anders Danielson Lie too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're both fantastic. I love subtle performances, and they gave brilliant ones.

      Delete
  4. If The Dark Knight Rises got nominated for one thing, I would accept it getting a technical award. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy! I'll be happy with any TDKR nomination. Period. :)

      Delete
  5. I totally agree on your technical and best adapted screenplay, I really hope Perks gets in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could happen, and it would be great!

      Delete