Sunday, December 8, 2013

My 2013 Music Awards

Los Campesinos! lead with 2 wins.

Here's my final ballot, with some new categories: Best Rock Album, Best Rock Song and Best Cover. Winners are indicated with an asterisk (*) and videos.

Note: Unlike the Grammys, I go by the calendar year. (So, Grammy-nominated artists like Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, P!nk and Calvin Harris are on last year's ballot.) However, I did include some 2012 singles from 2013 albums.

Album of the Year:



The Electric Lady - Janelle Monáe
Heartthrob - Tegan and Sara
No Blues - Los Campesinos!*
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
Yeezus - Kanye West

Record of the Year:



"Avocado, Baby" - Los Campesinos!
"Burn" - Ellie Goulding
"Closer" - Tegan and Sara
"Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams
"Royals" - Lorde*

Song of the Year:



"Gangsta" - Kat Dahlia
"Hold Me" - Tom Odell
"Lightning Bolt" - Jake Bugg*
"Royals" - Lorde
"Wings" - Birdy

Best New Artist:



Charli XCX
Kat Dahlia*
Lorde
Tom Odell
Rachel Zeffira

Best Alternative Album:



Gravel & Wine - Gin Wigmore
Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend
No Blues - Los Campesinos!*
Reflektor - Arcade Fire
Trouble Will Find Me - The National

Best Alternative Song:



"Bitter Rivals" - Sleigh Bells
"Hold Me" - Tom Odell*
"Reflektor" - Arcade Fire ft. David Bowie
"Selling Rope (Swan Dive to Estuary)" - Los Campesinos!
"Sun, Arise!" - Phosphorescent

Best Rock Album:



AM - Arctic Monkeys*
…Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age
The Next Day - David Bowie
Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy
Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! - Panic! at the Disco

Best Rock Song:



"Diane Young" - Vampire Weekend*
"Do I Wanna Know?" - Arctic Monkeys
"Lightning Bolt" - Jake Bugg
"My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" - Fall Out Boy
"The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" - David Bowie

Best Dance/Electronic Album:



Heritage - College
Outrun - Kavinsky
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk*
Tales of Us - Goldfrapp
True Romance - Charli XCX

Best Dance/Electronic Song:



"Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams
"Heart Upon My Sleeve" - Avicii
"Innocence" - Electric Youth
"Metroland" - OMD
"Nuclear Seasons" - Charli XCX*

Best Pop Album:



Bangerz - Miley Cyrus
Halcyon Days - Ellie Goulding
Heartthrob - Tegan and Sara*
Night Time, My Time - Sky Ferreira
Pure Heroine - Lorde

Best Pop Song:



"Adore You" - Miley Cyrus
"Hearts Without Chains" - Ellie Goulding
"I Was a Fool" - Tegan and Sara
"Take Me Out (Of Myself)" - Jamie Cullum
"You're Not the One" - Sky Ferreira*

Best Cover:



"Blurred Lines" - Addie Hamilton
"Comes Love" - Jamie Cullum
"Drive All Night" - Glen Hansard ft. Eddie Vedder and Jake Clemons
"Radioactive" - Pentatonix & Lindsey Stirling*
"Somewhere Only We Know" - Lily Allen

6 comments:

  1. I love Nuclear Seasons too. Arctic Monkey's Do I Wanna Know-that beat, just wow, a modern classic.
    Interesting you have covers category, reminds me of a site I visit, who do a year-end best covers list: http://www.covermesongs.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome site! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. I love how Gravel + Wine is a 2013 album...since I've had the import for two years now. LOVE THAT ALBUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I put her here since I didn't plan on doing a 2011 ballot. I've considered starting a music blog to post other ballots, lists and small reviews, but I'm still mulling it over. That album is terrific!

      Delete
  3. You seem to be the only person that I've come across that digs Adore You. I love that song (and even the God references which can usually grate on me depending on how well it is used).

    There is something I love about the word 'adore'. Bit cliché in some senses, but I feel that a lot of people don't use that word that much and it has a kind of resonance to it. It sounds more loving in a way, and it works perfectly for Cyrus' song. Was my favourite on the album.

    Unexpected choices for the dance/electronic album. Wondering if you have heard James Blake's second album, Overgrown? Really great album - one of the best of this year I think.

    Also, Kat Dahlia is the shit! Love that girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you also love Adore You. It's a brilliant way to start the album. I also think Someone Else is underrated.

      Yeah, I've heard Overgrown. I liked it, didn't love it. It might make my top 10 dance/electronic albums, though.

      You're the only person that I've come across that loves Kat Dahlia. I can't wait for her LP next year.

      Delete