Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ranking the Best Documentary Feature Oscar Contenders

Sarah Polley's Stories makes the cut.

Today the Academy announced 15 eligible titles for Best Documentary Feature Film. Here's how I think the films will stack up in the voting process.

1. Blackfish

2. 20 Feet from Stardom

3. Stories We Tell

4. The Act of Killing

5. Tim’s Vermeer

6. The Armstrong Lie

7. Dirty Wars

8. Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington

9. The Square

10. First Cousin Once Removed

11. Life According to Sam

12. God Loves Uganda

13. Cutie and the Boxer

14. Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer

15. The Crash Reel

8 comments:

  1. I am predicting your top five, but I think that The Square could sneak in. I've heard some really good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Square has a shot, for sure. It's hard sometimes to gauge the Academy's taste this category.

      Delete
  2. I really need to see Stories We Tell. I'm very excited for Blackfish to be among them, and part of me wants the Pussy Riot documentary to be nominated just so I can here someone say "pussy riot."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'd be as shocked as I was when Borat was nominated. Stories We Tell is great. It's the only one I've seen off this list.

      Delete
  3. There are so many great ones here I haven't seen yet, especially Stories We Tell and 20 Feet from Stardom. If you haven't seen The Act of Killing yet I highly recommend that Josh. Seems like Blackfish is this year's The Cove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to see The Act of Killing. It's out on DVD in January. Yeah, Blackfish is probably this year's The Cove.

      Delete
  4. Stories We Tell is probably my favorite theatrical doc of the year. Polley did such amazing work with that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a few minor issues with it, but I'd love to see it win.

      Delete