Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reaction: The Imposter, Liberal Arts & The Paperboy (2012)

The Imposter (dir. Bart Layton)

Lies become truth, with many facts remaining in the dark. It's a very involving, strikingly stylistic, and ultimately unsettling documentary. I was gobsmacked by the events that occurred.

Rating: ***1/2

Liberal Arts (dir. Josh Radnor)

A quirky indie comedy that means well, but relies on the typical underpinnings of similar narratives. While the performers are on point (especially Olsen), the writing comes off as somewhat indifferent and too clichéd.

Rating: **1/2

The Paperboy (dir. Lee Daniels)

An excessive, unfocused, and ridiculously entertaining piece of glamorized garbage. The cinematography is fetching, and the entire ensemble delivers, with Matthew McConaughey and Macy Gray stealing the show. I liked it more than I probably should have.

Rating: ***1/2

10 comments:

  1. Glad The Imposter was to your liking! Indeed very involving. I liked how documentary and thriller elements are mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. That was a brilliant combination. It's too bad it didn't get an Oscar nomination.

      Delete
  2. I've got to see The Imposter soon, 'gobsmacked' is what my reaction would be too I reckon. I'm curious about The Paperboy though I'm not sure I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to hear your reaction to them. The Paperboy isn't for everybody, but it worked for me.

      Delete
  3. Glad that you liked The Paperboy! I thought it was very entertaining too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I almost gave it a weak 4 stars! :)

      Delete
  4. LOL, love that you and I seem to be on the same wavelength with regards to The Paperboy. Far more entertaining than it should be and yet I can't help but admit that it is an AWFUL movie...that I kind of like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ridiculously entertaining piece of glamorized garbage ..." now that is a terrific line! :)

    ReplyDelete