Friday, April 4, 2014

1963 CinSpec Awards


Winners indicated (*). I still need to see films like The Fire Within, The L-Shaped Room, Billy Liar, The Servant, Captain Newman, M.D., The Third Shadow, Bye Bye Birdie, The Cardinal, The Big City, 55 Days at Peking, The V.I.P.'s, Le Feu Follet, Magnet of Doom, Papa's Delicate Condition, Black Sabbath, The Organiser, The Prize, Judex, The Stripper, The Ugly American, The Raven, Suzanne's Career, and The Whip and the Body.

Note: I have Winter Light on my 1962 ballot, since some sites (like The Criterion Collection) credit it as a '62 release.

The Great Escape

BEST PICTURE:
The Birds
Charade
8 1/2
The Great Escape*
The Silence

BEST DIRECTOR:
Ingmar Bergman, The Silence
Federico Fellini, 8 1/2*
Alfred Hitchcock, The Birds
John Sturges, The Great Escape
Luchino Visconti, The Leopard

8 1/2

BEST ACTOR:
Richard Harris, This Sporting Life
Marcello Mastroianni, 8 1/2*
Steve McQueen, The Great Escape
Toshiro Mifune, High and Low
Paul Newman, Hud

BEST ACTRESS:
Audrey Hepburn, Charade
Gunnel Lindblom, The Silence
Rachel Roberts, This Sporting Life
Ingrid Thulin, The Silence*
Natalie Wood, Love with the Proper Stranger

The Silence

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Brandon de Wilde, Hud
Melvyn Douglas, Hud*
Walter Matthau, Charade
Larry Tucker, Shock Corridor
Tsutomu Yamazaki, High and Low

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Anouk Aimée, 8 1/2
Linda Marsh, America, America
Ethel Merman, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Patricia Neal, Hud*
Suzanne Pleshette, The Birds

High and Low

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
The Birds
The Great Escape*
High and Low
Hud
The Leopard

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
America, America
Charade*
8 1/2
Knife in the Water
The Silence

Charade

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
America, America
The Birds
8 1/2*
Hud
The Leopard

BEST FILM EDITING:
The Birds
Charade
The Great Escape
High and Low*
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Hud

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
Contempt
Dr. No
The Great Escape*
The Leopard
Love with the Proper Stranger

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
"Charade", Charade
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
"Jamaica Jump Up", Dr. No
"Love with the Proper Stranger", Love with the Proper Stranger*
"We've Got a World That Swings", The Nutty Professor

Additional Categories

The Birds

BEST ART DIRECTION:
Cleopatra
8 1/2
The Haunting
Irma la Douce*
The Leopard

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
The Birds
Cleopatra
Irma la Douce
The Leopard*
Tom Jones

The Leopard

BEST MAKEUP:
Cleopatra*
Irma la Douce
Lord of the Flies

BEST SOUND (MIXING AND EDITING):
The Birds*
The Great Escape
The Haunting
How the West Was Won
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
The Birds
Jason and the Argonauts*
Son of Flubber

16 comments:

  1. The Great Escape is a great choice,the nominees you have for best pic I enjoyed watching too!
    The Fire Within is a dark film, but currently my #2 of '63.
    I still need to see Cleopatra and The Leopard.
    Is The Nutty Professor worth seeing? See you only nominate the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I almost saw The Fire Within beforehand, but the Netflix DVD was cracked.

      I haven't seen The Nutty Professor in well over a decade. I listened to the song this week, but I can't remember the film very well. I'd say see it if you're a Jerry Lewis fan.

      Delete
  2. I love that I've seen all of these EXCEPT your BP winner! This year is all about Hud for me. I fricking love that movie. It wins BP, BD, Screenplay and both Leads. This is Newman's crowning achievement, to me. I need to get on this year. I've seen so much, it deserves some Fisti attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen The Great Escape?! You gotta get on that! I don't think it's one you'd nominate, though.

      Hud is a very good movie. Newman is my runner-up in '58, '61 and '63, which is part of the reason he finally wins for Cool Hand Luke. I'm surprised you don't have Neal in Supporting. Speaking of Leads, I'm glad I rewatched some scenes from The Silence. I can't believe I had Hepburn as my winner for so long!

      Bring on more Fistis!

      Delete
    2. I just saw that Winter Light is actually a 63 film and NOT 62, which is where I've had it for so long. This really throws a wrench in my Fisti Awards! Do you have it in 62? Check IMDB...apparently it didn't even have a release that year in its home country :-(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I have it in '62. I know it's credited as a '63 release on IMDb, but Criterion lists it as a '62 release. Even the trilogy DVD set on Amazon officially lists it as a '62 film. A lot of sites list it in '62, so I'm just sticking to that. :/

      Delete
    4. This makes me happy. It fits so much nicer there for me (and it allows Newman to keep his Fisti for Hud).

      Delete
    5. Yay! Glad we'll both have it in the same year. I just can't put it in '63 at this point. Otherwise, Mastroianni doesn't win a CinSpec. :)

      Delete
  3. This confirms that '63 is just a giant blind spot for me. The only things you've mentioned that I've seen are "Jason and the Argonauts" and "Lord of the Flies." The saddest part is I've owned "The Great Escape" on DVD for a couple years now and still haven't watched it. Need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got some great films ahead of you. Hope you like The Great Escape, which is a film I could watch almost any day of the week.

      Delete
  4. Another post which reminds me I have lots of catching up to do :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picture:
    The Birds-Winner
    The Great Escape
    The Servant
    Tom Jones
    The other films are all excellent but Hitchcock's last really great film is so effective because it doesn't have any larger purpose than to unnerve the audience and throw a good scare into them. On that level it's a great success.

    Director:
    Alfred Hitchcock-The Birds-Winner
    Joseph Losey-The Great Escape
    Tony Richardson-Tom Jones
    Martin Ritt-Hud
    John Sturges-The Great Escape
    I'd place Ritt's observant direction of Hud a close second but Hitch's ability to take a simple concept and make it a nail biter is without peer.

    Actor:
    Dirk Bogarde-The Servant-Winner
    Albert Finney-Tom Jones
    Richard Harris-This Sporting Life
    Burt Lancaster-The Leopard
    Paul Newman-Hud
    Finney anchors the sprawling Tom Jones and totally owns the film. Newman's work as the sexy but detestable Hud is also tremendous but I favored Dirk Bogarde's cunning work as the malicious Servant.

    Actress:
    Judy Garland-I Could Go On Singing
    Rachel Roberts-This Sporting Life
    Jean Simmons-All the Way Home-Winner
    Tuesday Weld-Soldier in the Rain
    Natalie Wood-Love With the Proper Stranger
    In the film that closed out her screen career Judy's Jenny Bowman has many shades of the actress herself but she fleshes out the character, the emergency room scene in particular is a stunner, far more compellingly than the cliched script would seem to provide opportunties for. Roberts and Weld are wonderful in their films but often overwhelmed by their costars and Natalie's beleagued but independent girl who unexpectedly finds herself in the family way is one of her strongest performances. But the always underrated Jean Simmons is simply staggering as a woman who finds herself suddenly widowed and has to confront what lies ahead in All the Way Home.


    Supporting Actor:
    Brandon de Wilde-Hud
    James Fox-The Servant
    Melvyn Douglas-Hud-Winner
    Roddy McDowell-Cleopatra
    Bruce Ritchey-A Child is Waiting
    I was mightily tempted to award this to Bruce Ritchey for his pitch perfect rendering of a boy with disabilites in A Child is Waiting but when a child is so young so much of his performance is molded by the director and Melvyn Douglas's work is so meticulously observed and true, a culmination of years of fine work I agree with the academy that he deserved the prize.

    Supporting Actress:
    Wendy Hiller-Toys in the Attic
    Patricia Neal-Hud-Winner
    Suzanne Pleshette-The Birds
    Margaret Rutherford-The V.I.P.S.
    Shelley Winters-Wives & Lovers
    I love all five of these performances. Both Rutherford and Winters deliver comic gems that steal their films. Hiller is an oasis of calm and gravitas in the sometimes overwrought Attic and the marvelous Miss Pleshette does wonders in a part that in lesser hands would fade into the larger canvas of The Birds. The choice of Patricia Neal wasn't tough though. I've always felt she gave the best female performance in any film this year but Alma is without question a supporting role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Birds is one of my all-time favorites! Thrilled to see The Great Escape on there too, and I love that you went with the Hud performances in the supporting categories. I definitely need to watch The Servant and All the Way Home.

      Delete
  6. I noticed in the films you haven't seen yet you listed The Prize. I love that movie and recommend it highly! It's the most Hitchcock like film that he never directed. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece but a really fun adventure film with a good pace, sprightly performances and that beautiful high gloss studio sheen that films just don't have anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! I love Hitchcockian films of this era like Peeping Tom and Charade, so I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete