Monday, March 17, 2014

Mt. Rushmore of Movies Blogathon


Here's my late entry into M. Brown's first blogathon.

The rules are:

“To participate, simply choose the top 4 of anything cinematic and explain why it should be carved into the side of a mountain forever. Remember, these are real people carved into imaginary rock – so choose wisely!”

I decided to go with my top 4 Oscar-worthy performances by actresses who've never been nominated. They had a shot, but all were sadly ignored by the Academy. Of course, this is no way a definitive list. I tried to include plenty of variety, and I think there's enough significance to place these women on the side of mountain.

Myrna Loy, The Thin Man


Why?: As Nora Charles, Loy is part of perhaps the wittiest on-screen couple ever, and she's one of the biggest classic Hollywood starlets to be passed over at the Oscars.

Mia Farrow, Rosemary's Baby


Why?: She gave an iconic, career-best performance in a genre that is usually ignored by the Academy. Bonus points for her several excellent collaborations with Woody Allen.

Marilyn Monroe, Some Like It Hot


Why?: How did a star as powerful as Monroe not receive one nomination? This performance is the pinnacle of her career, and it's pure comedy gold.

Harriet Andersson, Through a Glass Darkly


Why?: Non-English performances (and the actors who give them) should have more consideration. Plus, it's the one of the finest dramatic performances from the 1960s, period.

*Since the Academy was going nowhere near Persona (and Bibi Andersson's phenomenal performance), I went for an equally deserving Bergman performance that actually had a chance at an Oscar nod.

18 comments:

  1. Hell yes to all of these! Great idea, and I love the gifs. Better late than never (although I expect you on time for my blogathon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Don't worry, I plan on doing my entry for your blogathon this week. :)

      Delete
  2. To this day I'm stunned Mia Farrow didn't win Oscar for Rosemary's Baby, never mind not even being nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's odd that she didn't at least get a nomination. Of course, her brilliant work with Woody Allen was also ignored for some reason.

      Delete
  3. That is a great list. Mia Farrow nor Harriet Andersson were not nominated for their performances? BOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know, right?! Both films won an Oscar, but neither actress was nominated.

      Delete
  4. Yes to Mia and Marilyn! Both were perfect in those roles. I can see why Marilyn maybe wouldn't get nominated, but it blows my mind that Mia wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like Mia would've been a lock for a nomination. Marilyn's film was very popular with Academy, so I'm surprised she didn't make the cut.

      Delete
  5. Oh great choices, can't believe Farrow was never nominated! I mean she is insane in real life but she deserved at least a nomination for Rosemary's Baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's crazy that she didn't get nominated.

      Delete
  6. Oh I just read someone's review of Some Like It Hot yesterday, now you really makes me want to see it soon. I have it on loan from a friend, in fact she lent me four Marilyn Monroe movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to it soon then. It's hilarious! :)

      Delete
  7. Definitely with you on Harriet Anderson. It is one of my favourite performances of all time. Farrow and Monroe are also great in their roles as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andersson is one of my all-time favorites too. Glad you agree on Farrow and Monroe as well.

      Delete
  8. Excellent monument, Josh. All fantastic choices. I'm actually shocked that Farrow didn't even get a nod, as I has always assumed that was a universally renowned performance. Same for Monroe, too. If those same actresses played those same roles today...surely they'd be a lock for a nomination.

    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Some of these are quite puzzling Oscar snubs.

      This was a great blogathon idea!

      Delete
  9. Great list. It's really quite baffling that Farrow was never nominated for an Oscar. And although I'm not the biggest fan of Marilyn Monroe, her lack of a nomination is something I can't wrap my head around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Those omissions just don't make sense in hindsight. Of course, we have recent examples like Scarlett Johansson, Maria Bello, Kirsten Dunst and Emily Mortimer. It just happens, unfortunately.

      Delete