Thursday, March 20, 2014

Captain America Blogathon


Andy at Fandango Groovers has put together another blogathon, which asks a simple question: What ten movies would you recommend a person who had been frozen between 1943 and 2011? I've tried to include a variety of genres and filmmaking styles, so this list looks far different than a greatest of all time top 10. What kinds of films should that person see? That's what I've attempted to answer below (in chronological order).

Rashomon (1950)

Vertigo (1958)

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Masculin FĂ©minin (1966)

Once Upon a Time in the West (1969)

Cries and Whispers (1973)

Star Wars (1977)

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

Lost in Translation (2003)

The Tree of Life (2011)

10 comments:

  1. OMG! Lost in Translation! Romeo + Juliet! Why didn't I think of those? This is a great top ten, and I love that we only have one crossover (but really, Star Wars should be mandated viewing for everyone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was amazed that we only had Star Wars in common. Romeo + Juliet is so stylish that I couldn't leave it off!

      Delete
  2. Love the inclusion of Romeo and Juliet and LiT - very inspired list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit, that's a great list. I'm trying to go for something different as I'm going to work on it later on tonight and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I tried to include as much variety as possible.

      Delete
  4. Very cool Josh! I think Star Wars is a great idea. Nice mix of classic and contemporary stuff. I'm thinking of including something really goofy on mine that deals w/ someone being frozen for decades. Perhaps Cap might get a kick out of that one, ahah ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Ooh, that's a great idea. Cap would probably love a movie like that. :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant choices! Wish I had thought of some of them for my list!

    ReplyDelete