Monday, January 27, 2014

Blind Spot: Paris, Texas (1984)

Kinski and Stanton deliver great performances.

Directed by Wim Wenders
Produced by Anatole Dauman and Don Guest
Written by Sam Shepard
Starring Harry Dean Stanton, Nastassja Kinski and Dean Stockwell

Plot Summary: After returning from the desert, a lost man reconnects with his young son, and they search to find his son's mother.

Significance: One of Wim Wenders' most acclaimed films, it was featured in the latest Sight and Sound Poll (tied at #183 in the critics one). It won three awards at the Cannes Film Festival, including the Palme d'Or, and it was even nominated for Best Film at the BAFTAs, winning Best Director.

Thoughts: The film is a slow burn, comfortably reaching its brilliant climax at its own leisurely pace. Moreover, the final scenes of the film are some of the best I've ever seen, striking and emotionally resonating. The cast is small, but quite strong. Stanton gives an effective performance as the muted protagonist, and Kinski is devastating in a quiet (but powerful) supporting performance. Robby Müller's natural cinematography is simple and elegant, providing beautiful vistas and colorful images with minimal flash. While everything works, it's the film's closing moments that really impressed me. This was only my second Wenders film (after Wings of Desire), but it's one of my new favorites. See it if you haven't already.

Rating: ****

This is the first film in my 2014 Blind Spot Series, as first started by Ryan McNeil.

20 comments:

  1. So far, this is my favorite Wenders film with Wings of Desire in a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this film. It hit me even harder when I watched it a second time a few years ago. You're so right about the final scenes, which are heartbreaking yet feel so true. I'm glad you were able to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this for the first time this month also. You're right - it is a slow burn, and I spent the first half of the movie not knowing what the heck was going on, but once it got to where it wanted to get...wow. Those final scenes were absolutely devastating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If those final scenes weren't there, I wouldn't love the film as much. They're SO good.

      Delete
  4. Interesting choice here Josh, I have never seen anything by Wim Wenders.

    I'm posting my first Blindspot tomorrow as well and I'm glad to say I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's always great when you enjoy a blind spot film.

      Delete
  5. That Ry Cooder score is simply breathtaking, adds so much emotion to the whole film

    ReplyDelete
  6. I
    LOVE
    THIS
    MOVIE

    And you're right, those final scenes are just heartbreaking and so honest. That scene between Kinski and Stanton are remarkable. Kinski would be my Supporting Actress winner that year in a heartbeat. She does so much in that moment...SO MUCH!

    Great write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Kinski is easily my winner now, and her performance is one of my favorite supporting performances ever. It's just brilliant!

      Thanks man!

      Delete
  7. I saw it a while back and the hype around this movie is well deserved, so glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say thanks for writing a January post! I’d leave a longer comment, but I’ve never seen Paris Texas myself – it’s a Blind Spot for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you get to see the film at some point.

      Delete
  9. One of my favourite first watches of last year! And yes, those Kinski - Stanton conversations were BIG part of it. If I have to choose one as the best scene from any movie I saw last year, that scene would win it handily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those scenes were incredible! During them I kept thinking "Why haven't I watched this sooner?".

      Delete
  10. Yep, those final scenes... (sigh). So poignant, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever do a top 100 scenes list (light bulb), that final conversation is going to be high on it.

      Delete