Sunday, February 3, 2013

Films I Saw in January

Robert Ryan in The Set-Up (1949).

The Best:

1. The Set-Up - ****
2. After Hours - ****
3. Gun Crazy - ****
4. Separate Tables (x2) - ****
5. Amour
6. Murder, My Sweet - ****
7. Brighton Rock (1947) - ****
8. The Asphalt Jungle - ****
9. Brief Encounter - ****
10. A Woman Under the Influence - ****

More after the cut.

The Rest:
Beloved (2012) - ***
Black Widow - ***
Broken City - **1/2
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - ****
Compliance - ****
Dark Horse - **1/2
The Day I Saw Your Heart - ***1/2
Dredd - ***1/2
Excision - **
Farewell, My Queen - ***1/2
Gangster Squad - ***
Greenberg (x2) - ***1/2
Hobson's Choice - ****
The Impossible - ****
The Innkeepers - ***
The Last Airbender - **
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - ****
M*A*S*H - ****
Michael (2012) - ***1/2
Movie 43 - 1/2
Not Fade Away - ***1/2
ParaNorman - **1/2
Passage to Marseille - ***
Polisse - ***1/2
Prince of the City - ****
Promised Land - ***
The Raven - **1/2
Rust and Bone - ***1/2
The Sea Inside - ***
Slums of Beverly Hills - ****
Wendy and Lucy - ****
Zero Dark Thirty - ****

Rewatched:
The Big Sleep - ****
Django Unchained (x2) - ****
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - ***1/2
Les Misérables (2012) (x2) - ****
Moonrise Kingdom - ****
Out of the Past - ****
Sleepless Night - ****
The Turin Horse - ****
21 Jump Street - ***
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - ****

52 Films Watched - 42 New, 10 Rewatched

6 comments:

  1. I watched Separate Tables(haven't reviewed it yet), and stayed with me, so thanks for the recommendation.

    Didn't love M*A*S*H as much as you did. Glad you loved The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, love the sets and atmosphere of that silent film. Wendy and Lucy is another we agree on.I need to see The Big Sleep and Liberty Valance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Glad you liked it, Chris.

      Oh, The Big Sleep and Liberty Valance are two worth checking out. Not sure if you'll love them like I did though.

      Delete
  2. Again, amazing the number of movies you managed to see Josh. What are your thoughts on Amour??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always surprised by how many others watch. Toby at "blah blah blah gay" saw 72 in January!

      Wonderful performances in Amour. Great direction/screenplay by Haneke. It moves at a deliberately slow pace and can be quite depressing, but it's worth the struggle. Thrilled that it got 5 Oscar noms! :)

      Delete
  3. Holy potatoes, you watched a lot of movies last month! That's awesome. :-)

    I watched Compliance last night, and it was a 4/5 star movie for me too, though I found it difficult to sit through. My 18-year-old daughter found it even more difficult than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, as many as I see, there are always tons waiting to be watched. :)

      Yeah, Compliance is a difficult watch, but a rewarding one. I'd actually give it a 4.5/5 rating, and I'd round it to 4/4 on the blog. I should switch to five stars on here, but I love the 4-star scale too much.

      Delete