Wednesday, December 12, 2012

2013 Blind Spot Series


Ryan McNeil at The Matinee is doing his second "Blind Spot Series" and has invited other bloggers to join him.

In Ryan's words, joining this series requires you to "cull together a list of “Blind Spot” films…movies that we as movie enthusiasts likely should have seen by now, but haven’t for one reason or another. After narrowing the list down to a truly manageable twelve titles, the goal would be to watch all twelve over the course of the next year, and to write one’s thoughts afterwards."

So, I'll be doing just that: seeing one of these films a month for twelve months. As far as the list is concerned, I included at least one film from every decade dating back to the 1920s, and I tried to pick films from different genres and countries. Have a look after the cut.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1921)

The Rules of the Game (1939)

The Great Dictator (1940)
  
Detective Story (1951)
  
Pickpocket (1959)

Blow-Up (1966)

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)

Come and See (1985)

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

This is England (2007)

Waltz with Bashir (2008)

King of Devil's Island (2011)

10 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Some of these are movies I want to see too, especially Waltz With Bashir, Come and See, and The Great Dictator.

    I did see This is England, as my daughter is a big fan of Shane Meadows. It was quite good, albeit disturbing. I definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank Ryan for it. ;)

      I haven't seen any of Shane Meadows' work, and I've wanted to see this film for years. Can't wait!

      Delete
    2. I've seen This is England and Dead Man's Shoes, because of my daughter's love for his work. Disturbing but really excellent movies. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts and reactions when you get around to watching this film.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, I want to see Dead Man's Shoes too. That's also been on my radar for a while. :)

      Delete
  2. Josh, that's a really interesting list. I've only seen five of them, and none are boring. I'm a big fan of Pickpocket, which is an fairly unknown gem. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a really inventive movie, especially for the time period. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan. Pickpocket made the list because I've never seen a Bresson film. It's time that changed. And I really should've seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari by now.

      Delete
  3. Awesome list! Is that King of Devil's Island mention because of my love for it? I've seen seven of these (Rules of the Game/The Great Dictator/Blow-Up/The Secret of the Beehive/Raise the Red Lanturn/This is England/King of Devil's Island) and I really liked/loved them all.

    I'm down for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, yeah. I've been wanting to see King of Devil's Island since I discovered it on your blog, so I selected it as my 2010s pick. :)

      Awesome!

      Delete
  4. Interesting picks. Definitely check out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1921), loved the atmosphere of that silent film.

    A few of the others I had mixed feelings about, The Spirit of the Beehive and Raise the Red Lantern I thought were very slow. Hopefully you'll like them more than I did.

    Not heard of King of Devil's Island (2011) or Detective Story (1955), I'll have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing every film on here.

      I hadn't heard of King of Devil's Island either, until I noticed it on A Fistful of Films recently.

      Delete