Thursday, March 8, 2018

2017 CinSpec Awards

Blade Runner 2049 leads the nominees.

At long last, here are my personal awards for 2017 in film. I've seen 116 films from last year, but I still have more to watch. Expect an update probably later this year, as my new system places 2018 U.S. releases like The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, The Party, Ismael’s Ghosts, Let the Sunshine In, Rock’n Roll, The Man with the Iron Heart, and Borg McEnroe in 2017. (Obviously, I haven't seen those yet.)

Note: I also haven't seen films like Happy End, Molly’s Game, All the Money in the World, In the Fade, Wonder, Victoria & Abdul, Goodbye Christopher Robin, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, A Quiet Passion, Foxtrot, The Work, On Body and Soul, The Levelling, Blade of the Immortal, The Wound, The Ornithologist, Ferdinand, Downsizing, The Insult, Justice League, Norman, The Dinner, Newness, and Shimmer Lake.

You can view a list of what I have seen here.

I've also listed my current top 10 below the awards. Enjoy!



















My top 10:

1. Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)
2. Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan)
3. Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve)
4. Call Me by Your Name (Luca Guadagnino)
5. The Florida Project (Sean Baker)
6. Get Out (Jordan Peele)
7. Hostiles (Scott Cooper)
8. My Happy Family (Nana Ekvtimishvili & Simon Groß)
9. Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbegh)
10. The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro)

12 comments:

  1. Vicky Krieps was amazing in Phantom Thread and I’m glad she is your winner. Also thrilled to see Margaret Qualley nominated.

    I’m glad to see Sylvia Hoeks get some love here, but what did you think of Ana de Armas in Blade Runner 2049? I thought she was even more memorable. And what did you think of Hammer in Call Me By Your Name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love those performances as well. Ana de Armas is great in Blade Runner 2049. On another day, she might make my lineup. Hammer (and Stuhlbarg) were terrific in CMBYN. I had a wealth of contenders for Best Supporting Actor.

      Delete
  2. I like these choices half of the films in your top 10 are in my top 10 films of 2017 so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS. I need to see some of these to! I would nominate J-Law for best actress and Michelle Pfeiffer for supporting actress for mother tho, and also Emille Hirsche and Brian Cox for best actor for The Autopsy of Jane Doe, and I'd also nom it for sound. I really dunno if I'm gonna do my own awards for this year, but I really appreciate yours! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lawrence and Pfeiffer are totally worthy of nominations. The latter just missed my lineup. I haven't seen The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Might have to check it out.

      Delete
  4. But War's visual effects!

    I love your picks. Having just watched Una, I can see why you've got Mara and Mendelsohn there and I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my Star Wars bias is showing. But I might actually go with Blade Runner 2049 now. Lol

      So glad you watched Una. Mendelsohn is my runner-up! I really, really wanted to give the win, but DDL is too good to beat.

      Delete
  5. Love that we had the same top 2! Phantom Thread wins the day. Great work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When's it gonna be Avengers: Infinity War's turn to be in the CinSpec Awards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2018, but it's probably just getting a Visual Effects nomination.

      Delete
  7. Keep on working, great job!

    ReplyDelete