Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Top 10 Films of 2016 So Far

ScarJo shines in Hail, Caesar!.

I haven't seen many films (like The Neon Demon, The Lobster, Sing Street, A Bigger Splash, The Nice Guys, Miles Ahead, Born to Be Blue, Finding Dory, Sunset Song, The Fits, Swiss Army Man, Everybody Wants Some!!, Money Monster, Love & Friendship, Maggie's Plan, Triple 9, or Green Room) from the year's first half, but I'll catch up with a lot of them soon on DVD/streaming. Here are my current favorites, though.

10. L'Attesa (dir. Piero Messina)

9. Knight of Cups (dir. Terrence Malick)

8. The Jungle Book (dir. Jon Favreau)

7. Deadpool (dir. Tim Miller)

6. Zootopia (dir. Byron Howard and Rich Moore)

5. 10 Cloverfield Lane (dir. Dan Trachtenberg)

4. Midnight Special (dir. Jeff Nichols)

3. Hail, Caesar! (dir. Joel and Ethan Coen)

2. Demolition (dir. Jean-Marc Vallée)

1. The Witch (dir. Robert Eggers)

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see some love for Hail, Caesar! It wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, but it still a solid movie and too many people are hating on it :(
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I LOVED it! I wouldn't have minded a longer version to be honest.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing the Witch so high! I had it at number 1 too until I saw The NiceGuys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to skip The Nice Guys in theaters, but I can't wait to check it out on DVD! :)

      Delete
  3. On this list, I've only seen The Witch, Zootopia, and Deadpool so far. I agree that The Witch was terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw The Witch, I was warned by a theater employee that there had been several walkouts. I figured I'd love it then.

      Delete
  4. I have too many of these yet to see...! But I'm so glad to see The Witch in first place, I loved it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Witch, Deadpool, and 10 Cloverfield Lane are some of my favorites this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I have a feeling Deadpool and 10 Cloverfield Lane would just miss my list if I'd seen more, but I really liked them, especially 10CL.

      Delete
  6. I definitely agree with your #1 as The Witch, but I wouldn't have Hail, Caesar! so high up on this list. That movie was so forgettable to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hail, Caesar! seems frivolous, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad you loved The Witch, too.

      Delete
  7. I like seeing The Witch and 10 Cloverfield Lane in your top 5. For me, Zootopia is the best film so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zootopia is brilliant. I would only give it a B+, but it should be required viewing for all ages.

      Delete
  8. Of these, I've only seen Deadpool. I love it, but I've got so much catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I skipped a lot in theaters early this year, so I'm behind as well.

      Delete
  9. Interesting list. I think I'm going to FINALLY see The Witch tonight. As a big Coen brothers fan I think Hail, Caesar! is my biggest disappointment of the year. Did I railroad it by having too high expectations? I'm hoping a second viewing will cure a lot of my frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like The Witch! I don't remember my expectations being too high for Hail, Caesar!, but I certainly didn't expect to enjoy it so much. I just love the world of the film. It probably helps that I'm a big fan of that Hollywood era.

      Delete