Sunday, September 1, 2013

Films I Saw in August

The Cranes are Flying

Despite going some days without watching a film, I managed to see a lot again last month.

The Best:

1. The Cranes are Flying - ****
2. Les Girls - ****
3. The Dead - ****
4. Marat/Sade - ****
5. I Vitelloni - ****
6. Wings of Desire - ****
7. My Life as a Dog - ****
8. Matewan - ****
9. The Deadly Affair - ****
10. Le Samouraï - ****

The Rest:

Across the Bridge - ***1/2
Au Revoir Les Enfants - ***1/2
Blue Jasmine - ***1/2
A Bridge Too Far - ****
Claire Dolan - ***
Closed Circuit - ***
Contact - ***1/2
A Countess from Hong Kong - **1/2
Doctor Dolittle (1967) - **
Edge of the City - ***1/2
Elysium - ***
A Face in the Crowd - ***1/2
Far from the Madding Crowd - ***1/2
Getaway - **
Ginger & Rosa - **1/2
The Grandmaster - ***
The Great Dictator - ***1/2
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral - ***
Happy Together - ***1/2
Hope and Glory - ***1/2
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden - ***1/2
Il Grido - ***1/2
In Cold Blood - ***1/2
Ironweed - ***
It Happened on Fifth Avenue - ***1/2
The Late Show - ***1/2
Lee Daniels' The Butler - **1/2
Lost Highway - ***1/2
Passion - **
Peyton Place - ***1/2
Predator - **1/2
The Prince and the Showgirl - ***
Radio Days - ***1/2
Redemption - **1/2
RoboCop - **1/2
Saint Joan - **1/2
Sayonara - ***
Stoker - ***
Stroszek - ***
The Sweet Hereafter - ***1/2
The Taming of the Shrew - ***
That Obscure Object of Desire - ****
Thoroughly Modern Millie - ***
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - ****
3 Women - ***1/2
3:10 to Yuma (1957) - ***1/2
Throne of Blood - ***1/2
The Turning Point - ***
2 or 3 Things I Know About Her - ***
Weekend (1967) - ***1/2
Wild is the Wind - ***
The Wolverine - **1/2
The World's End - ****

Rewatched:

Bonnie and Clyde - ****
Gentleman's Agreement - ***1/2
The Graduate - ****
In the Heat of the Night - ****
The Lady Eve - ****
Love in the Afternoon (1957) - ****
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - ***1/2
No Country for Old Men - ****
The Shining - ****

72 Films Watched - 63 New, 9 Rewatched

4 comments:

  1. Agree with your ratings for Wings of Desire & Le Samouraï.

    I want to see lots of those: Face in a Crowd, Blue Jasmine, The Grandmaster, Gentleman's Agreement, The Great Dictator, 3:10 to Yuma, Throne of Blood , Weekend, and The World's End

    Surprised you only gave Stoker 3 out of 4 stars, what didn't you like about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great ones you haven't seen yet. :)

      Stoker never really pulled me in. The technical aspects were terrific, but I felt like I was watching the film from a distance, which didn't work if that was the intent. The most engaging moments were Matthew Goode's scenes. I liked it overall. I just wasn't wowed like a lot of people.

      Delete
  2. Amazing Josh, I don't know how you do it man! I've only seen one from your BEST list. Hey, we have the same rating for The Wolverine and I could've gone w/ 3/5 also for Elysium (I was too generous I think). Anyway, your list puts my paltry viewing recap a shame, ahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you have a lot to discover then. ;) Actually, my 3 stars is 3/4, so I'd give Elysium 3.5/5. Maybe I was too generous instead? :)

      Delete