Friday, September 20, 2013

1936 CinSpec Awards


Winners indicated (*). I still need to see films like Anthony Adverse, Three Smart Girls, Intermezzo, La Belle Équipe, Le Crime de Monsieur Lange, The Lower Depths, The Prisoner of Shark Island, Valiant is the Word for Carrie, Theodora Goes Wild, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Anything Goes, Desire, Mayerling, The Only Son, The Road to Glory, La Tendre Ennemie, Things to Come, The Devil-Doll, The Trouble With Money, Winterset, and The Gorgeous Hussy.

Modern Times

BEST PICTURE:
A Day in the Country
Modern Times*
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
My Man Godfrey
Sabotage

BEST DIRECTOR:
Frank Capra, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Charles Chaplin, Modern Times*
Alfred Hitchcock, Sabotage
Fritz Lang, Fury
Jean Renoir, A Day in the Country

My Man Godfrey

BEST ACTOR:
Charles Chaplin, Modern Times
Gary Cooper, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Walter Huston, Dodsworth
William Powell, My Man Godfrey*
Spencer Tracy, Fury

BEST ACTRESS:
Jean Arthur, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Paulette Goddard, Modern Times
Carole Lombard, My Man Godfrey*
Myrna Loy, Libeled Lady
Silvia Sidney, Fury

Sabotage

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Humphrey Bogart, The Petrified Forest
Oscar Homolka, Sabotage*
Peter Lorre, Secret Agent
Eugene Pallette, My Man Godfrey
Spencer Tracy, San Francisco

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Mary Astor, Dodsworth
Bonita Granville, These Three*
Myrna Loy, The Great Ziegfeld
Luise Rainer, The Great Ziegfeld
Blanche Yurka, A Tale of Two Cities

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
After the Thin Man
Dodsworth
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town*
My Man Godfrey
Sabotage

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Bullets or Ballots
Fury
Libeled Lady
Modern Times*
Swing Time

A Day in the Country

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
A Day in the Country
Fury
Modern Times*
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Secret Agent

BEST FILM EDITING:
Bullets or Ballots
Fury
Modern Times
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Sabotage*

Fury

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
A Day in the Country
Fury
Modern Times*
Sabotage
A Tale of Two Cities

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
"A Fine Romance", Swing Time
"San Francisco", San Francisco
"The Way You Look Tonight", Swing Time*

Additional Categories

The Great Ziegfeld

BEST ART DIRECTION:
The Great Ziegfeld
Modern Times
Rembrandt
San Francisco
A Tale of Two Cities*

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
The Great Ziegfeld*
Rembrandt
Romeo and Juliet
Show Boat
A Tale of Two Cities

San Francisco

BEST MAKEUP:
The Great Ziegfeld
Rembrandt*
The Story of Louis Pasteur

BEST SOUND (MIXING AND EDITING):
Bullets or Ballots
The Great Ziegfeld
The Petrified Forest
San Francisco*
Swing Time

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Modern Times
San Francisco*
Secret Agent

10 comments:

  1. I've only seen 2-3 of those. Modern Times I loved, My Man Godfrey I liked.
    Curious about Fury, interested in watching the best films directed by Fritz Lang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dig those 2 films. Fury is my #6 film this year, so I'd recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I freaking LOVE Spencer Tracy in Fury...brilliant performance!

    I wish you could have nominated Genevieve Tobin from The Petrified Forest. I loved her small yet powerful performance towards the end of the film.

    Still, I have TONS to see from this year (I've only seen like 5 films) so I understand if she missed out because there was just too much greatness to mention her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Tracy is terrific! Honestly, I completely blanked on Tobin, but she still doesn't make my top 5. :(

      Ha, same here. I've only seen 25 films from this year, so I've got a lot to see as well.

      Delete
  3. Man I don't think I have seen any film from 1936! I definitely need to see more Gary Cooper films, esp. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, definitely check out Mr. Deeds. You might also like Ball of Fire or The Lady Eve, as he's better in those films.

      Delete
  4. Great list. Chaplin is a god, and Modern Times is just perfect. You reminded me that I should check out Sabotage again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pal. Yeah, I can't believe I took MT off my top 100 list. It's definitely going back on there when I update it soon. I LOVED Sabotage. It might actually make my top 100 as well.

      Delete
  5. Picture:
    Dodsworth
    Fury
    Libeled Lady
    Modern Times
    A Tale of Two Cities-Winner
    I was torn between the imaginative Modern Times and the superb understated elegance of Two Cities. Times is probably the better film but I have a soft spot for Dickens and Colman so Cities is my winner.

    Director:
    Charles Chaplin-Modern Times-Winner
    Jack Conway-A Tale of Two Cities
    Gregory La Cava-My Man Godfrey
    Fritz Lang-Fury
    William Wyler-Dodsworth
    Chaplin's wonderfully inventive direction is far more daring than anything the other directors attempted this year though their work is admirable.

    Actor:
    Charles Chaplin-Modern Times
    Ronald Colman-A Tale of Two Cities-Winner
    Walter Huston-Dodsworth
    William Powell-My Man Godfrey
    Spencer Tracy-Fury
    All the men were excellent, especially Powell, but Colman and Sydney Carton are a perfect union of actor and part, once I saw him I can't imagine anyone else in the role. I've seen many versions but no one else has ever come close to his work.

    Actress:
    Frances Farmer-Come and Get It
    Greta Garbo-Camille
    Jean Harlow-Libeled Lady
    Carole Lombard-My Man Godfrey-Winner
    Rosalind Russell-Craig's Wife
    While Russell and Farmer were terrific this was a three actress race for me. Harlow's steam engine of a performance as the chronically put upon Gladys in Libeled Lady is brilliant, I see that you prefer Myrna, excellent as usual, but I think Jean's is the more accomplished performance. I love Garbo in Camille, it's my favorite of her films and possibly her most varied work but I just handed her the Oscar last year and the magnificent Lombard is at the very top of her game in Godfrey so I gladly chose her for the prize.

    Supporitn Actor:
    Mischa Auer-My Man Godfrey
    John Barrymore-Romeo & Juliet
    Humphrey Bogart-The Petrified Forest
    Henry Daniell-Camille-Winner
    Eugene Pallette-My Man Godfrey
    Three expert comic performances and an early classic Bogie one but I still prefer Daniell's icy work as the Baron in Camille. His cold superiority still allows tiny cracks of the love he denies he has for Marguerite to show through, an excellently done piece of work.

    Supporting Actress:
    Mary Astor-Dodsworth
    Helen Morgan-Show Boat
    Edna May Oliver-A Tale of Two Cities
    Gail Patrick-My Man Godfrey
    Blanche Yurka-A Tale of Two Cities-Winner
    I see you placed Rainer where she rightly belonged, her win in lead this year was preposterous, but while I enjoyed her justly famous telephone scene one scene isn't enough for me to place her over other richer work.
    Astor and Patrick are super in their films and Morgan is heartbreaking in Show Boat, though I still prefer Ava Gardner in the 50's remake. I love Oliver, a unique, one of a kind actress, in all things and she is ideally cast here but I just couldn't ignore Yurka's wonderfully unhinged work as Madame De Farge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see A Tale of Two Cities get some wins. I didn't like it quite as much as you did, but I HAD to give it a win somewhere (in Art Direction). I need to see Camille, though I consider it a '37 release, since Garbo was nominated that year for it.

      Delete