Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: Heartbeats (2011)

Left to right: Francis (Dolan), Nicolas (Schneider) & Marie (Chokri)

Directed by Xavier Dolan
Produced by Xavier Dolan, Carole Mondello, and Daniel Morin
Written by Xavier Dolan
Starring Monia Chokri, Niels Schneider, and Xavier Dolan

****

Francis (Dolan) is best friends with Marie (Chokri). In fact, their relationship is more like a brother-sister one, but they want something more. After they meet Nicolas (Schneider) at a party, their relationship develops into an interesting love triangle, unbeknownst to Nicolas. The threesome, however, are a tight group, even sleeping in the same cramped bed together. Francis and Marie both fall in love with Nicolas, who appears friendly and somewhat receptive to their advances. Each pursues him, but to no avail. They even distance themselves from each other, in order to win the affections of Nicolas. Upon confronting Nicolas, Francis and Marie are jilted, and must mend their friendship as they try to heal their broken hearts. But life goes on, and they're soon back at a party, on the prowl for their next love.

Xavier Dolan's film takes an interesting look at this complicated relationship. The three performances feel like genuine, lived-in characters, even if they are hipsters. They live and experience great pain in these unusual circumstances, without straying from an authentic portrayal of a touching story. Aside from the talent on screen, the film would not be as good as it is without the solid screenplay and the stylish direction by Xavier Dolan, who also turns in a devastating lead performance. The film's technical strengths are also worth mentioning. In several scenes, steadicam shots are slowed down, and we get to float through the scenes with these characters. The film also uses vibrant colors and an electic soundtrack as effective storytelling devices. Overall, it's a technically brilliant little film with great performances and an intriguingly stripped-down story of the relationship between Francis, Marie, and Nicolas. I highly recommend this film, if you haven't seen it. It's one of the best - and most overlooked - movies that 2011 had to offer.

Oscar Tally: None

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this until now. It sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, but thanks should go to Toby at "blah blah blah gay". He asked if I was reviewing it on here, so I decided to do just that.

      Hope you like the film!

      Delete
  2. Nice review, I didn't realise you took requests. Next can you please review The Grissom Gang?

    As I said on Letterboxd I love that you love this movie, I remember being absolutely blown away by it. It was like Dolan had made a hipster Mike Leigh movie by way of a Patricia Highsmith novel.

    Sounds like I should write my own review. Grab some beautiful screenshots too. Good excuse to actually open that DVD after nearly two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Haha, I guess I unofficially do, sort of. ;) I'll try to review that soon, but I've got a lot of 2012 films to catch up with before the end of the year. Should fit in in soonish though.

      Yeah, you should definitely do that. The more screenshots, the better. :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this either, but it reminds me a bit of the movie Threesome w/ Lara Flynn Boyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen that, but I'll look into it. :)

      Delete
  4. Great review, Josh. I'd never heard of this, and it looks like something I would have overlooked. And you almost lost me on "hipsters." :-P

    Based on the way you described the character development and the technical brilliance of the film, I think it's worth a look.

    Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with your posts -- you have so much great stuff. Maybe there'll be a little less crazy in my life soon. Here's to hoping. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you do see it, hope you like!

      Oh, don't worry about it. Here's hoping for less crazy, and thanks again. :)

      Delete