Thursday, April 28, 2016

Early Oscar Winner Predictions

Fences, if released in time, could strike gold on Oscar night.

Since I just posted my first Oscar predictions for the year, here are my foolhardy guesses at the winners. Last year I only predicted three categories (Best Actor, Best Cinematography, and Best Animated Feature Film) correctly, and I'm sure this year will be no different. Check out my picks below.

BEST PICTURE:
The Birth of a Nation

BEST DIRECTOR:
Ang Lee, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

BEST ACTOR:
Denzel Washington, Fences

BEST ACTRESS:
Viola Davis, Fences

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Liam Neeson, Silence

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Aja Naomi King, The Birth of a Nation

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Loving

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Silence

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Alice Through the Looking Glass

BEST FILM EDITING:
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
Silence

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
La La Land

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:
Alice Through the Looking Glass

BEST SOUND MIXING:
Jason Bourne

BEST SOUND EDITING:
Jason Bourne

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
Zootopia

8 comments:

  1. And Lee being a 3x Oscar winning Director for 3 films that didn't win BP would be...kind of incredible.

    Love the idea of that statistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely convinced it'll happen, but it'd be an awesome stat.

      Delete
  2. My current predictions:

    Best Picture: Silence
    Best Director: Martin Scorsese, Silence
    Best Actor: Joel Edgerton, Loving
    Best Actress: Viola Davis, Fences
    Best Supporting Actor: Liam Neeson, Silence
    Best Supporting Actress: Naomie Harris, Moonlight
    Best Original Screenplay: Loving
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
    Best Animated Feature: Zootopia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see Scorsese get two more Oscars. I'd love ALL of those wins, actually.

      Delete
  3. Well it seems OscarsSoWhite won't happen this time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look like it, especially if Fences is released this year. I'm not sure how well The Birth of a Nation will do in the acting categories.

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see Silence, boy that's going to be so intense and it reminds me a bit of The Mission (in which Neeson also had a supporting role). I hope The Birth of a Nation lives up to the hype, I mean the buzz out of Sundance was incredible. Nice to see Ang Lee amongst the roster again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for all three films. Always great to have another Scorsese film on the way. Fences is interesting as well. On paper, it's SO baity, but it could be amazing.

      Delete