Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Top 10 Oscar-Winning Female Performances

Juliette Binoche at the 1997 ceremony.

In compiling this list, I looked at both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress winners. No supporting ladies made the list, but performances by actresses like Eva Marie Saint (On the Waterfront), Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton), and Mo'Nique (Precious) were in the running.

10. Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs
Role: Clarice Starling
Oscar History: 2 wins, 4 nominations

9. Holly Hunter, The Piano
Role: Ada McGrath
Oscar History: 1 win, 4 nominations

8. Sophia Loren, Two Women
Role: Cesira
Oscar History: 1 win, 2 nominations
 
7. Faye Dunaway, Network
Role: Diana Christensen
Oscar History: 1 win, 3 nominations

6. Charlize Theron, Monster
Role: Aileen Wuornos
Oscar History: 1 win, 2 nominations

5. Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry
Role: Brandon Teena/Teena Brandon
Oscar History: 2 wins, 2 nominations

4. Vivien Leigh, A Streetcar Named Desire
Role: Blanche DuBois
Oscar History: 2 wins, 2 nominations
 
3. Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Role: Nina Sayers/The Swan Queen
Oscar History: 1 win, 2 nominations

2. Elizabeth Taylor, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Role: Martha
Oscar History: 2 wins, 5 nominations

1. Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
Role: Edith Piaf
Oscar History: 1 win, 1 nomination

18 comments:

  1. Man, I really need to see Marion as Edith Piaf, can't believe I haven't seen that yet. Sounds like every performance here is Oscar-worthy Josh, great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! The film could be better, but Marion is phenomenal.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic choice for #1! I concur. Come to think of it, this would be very similar to my own list if I did one. I cherish a lot of these performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad we agree on some of these, especially on Marion's performance.

      Delete
  3. I've seen eight of the ten performances. (The odd ones out are Loren and Cotillard.) Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You should definitely check those out.

      Delete
  4. Whatever Happened to you Josh? Where is Juliette Binoche? :D

    Jokes apart, Great list. Everyone keeps ranking La Vie En Rose in there lists. Looks like I have to see this.

    My favourite is Elizabeth Taylor. So great to see her so high. And good to see Holly Hunter as well. I think she usually gets lost in the mix. I haven't seen Monster either but it is hard to argue about all those I have seen. Nicely Done, pal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I really wanted to put her on here, but her performance in The English Patient isn't as strong as some of her other work. :)

      Thanks man. La Vie en Rose is a must, but only for Cotillard's performance. Monster is a better film, and it has great work from Theron and Christina Ricci.

      Nice to see more support for Taylor and Hunter.

      Delete
  5. I see I'm not the only one who has yet to see La Vie En Rose, something I need to do ASAP. But heck yes at the inclusion of Liz, Viv, Nat and Jo's performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotillard is brilliant in that film. Yay! I love those performances.

      Delete
  6. Awesome to see Charlize, Natalie, Marion, Vivien and Faye here, I think they would all be in my top 20 for the performances you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Glad you dig those performances too.

      Delete
  7. AWESOME picks, my friend. I was planning on doing the exact same list as the big day gets closer, and some of these ladies are definitely going to be on mine.

    Cotillard at the top spot? That's damn right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much man. Can't wait to see your picks!

      Haha, indeed.

      Delete
  8. Magnificent work here! I still think her part in Boys Don't Cry was Hilary Swank's best role ever (of the ones I've seen). Holly Hunter in The Piano and Natalie Portman in Black Swan were also unforgettable to me.

    I've never gotten around to La Vie en Rose. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch! :) I completely agree on Swank. From what I've seen, she hasn't topped that performance yet. Glad you approve of Hunter and Portman.

      La Vie en Rose isn't a great film, but Cotillard's performance is aces.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like it's worth seeing just for her performance, then. I'll add it to my list. I always get this title mixed up with the Belgian movie Ma Vie en Rose about the little boy who is transgendered. Confuses me a bit. :-)

      Delete
    3. Haha. Yeah, those are confusing titles. :)

      (Sorry this reply is so late. I just noticed your comment in the spam folder.)

      Delete