Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May Oscar Predictions

Suffragette is looking like a real contender.

Last month Fisti and I made our first predictions for next year's Oscar nominations. Since it's still very early in the race, I haven't changed much, but here's what I'm thinking right now.

BEST PICTURE:
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
The Danish Girl
Demolition
The Hateful Eight
In the Heart of the Sea
Joy
The Revenant
Suffragette

Changes: Replaced Money Monster and Steve Jobs with In the Heart of the Sea and Suffragette

BEST DIRECTOR:
Todd Haynes, Carol
Tom Hooper, The Danish Girl
Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant
David O. Russell, Joy
Steven Spielberg, Bridge of Spies

Changes: None

BEST ACTOR:
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Jake Gyllenhaal, Demolition
Tom Hanks, Bridge of Spies
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Changes: None

BEST ACTRESS:
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Carey Mulligan, Suffragette
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Changes: None

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Robert De Niro, Joy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Jude Law, Genius
Kurt Russell, The Hateful Eight

Changes: Replaced Clooney with Russell

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Helena Bonham Carter, Suffragette
Diane Ladd, Joy
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Naomi Watts, Demolition

Changes: Replaced Cotillard with Bonham Carter

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Brooklyn
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Revenant
Steve Jobs

Changes: None

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Bridge of Spies
Demolition
The Hateful Eight
Joy
Suffragette

Changes: Replaced Money Monster with Suffragette

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
Cinderella
Pan

Changes: Replaced Macbeth with Cinderella

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Carol
The Hateful Eight
In the Heart of the Sea
The Revenant
Sicario

Changes: Replaced Far from the Madding Crowd with Sicario

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Brooklyn
Carol
Cinderella
Macbeth
Pan

Changes: None

BEST FILM EDITING:
Bridge of Spies
In the Heart of the Sea
Joy
The Revenant
Spectre

Changes: Replaced Money Monster with In the Heart of the Sea

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
Bridge of Spies
Carol
Far from the Madding Crowd
Inside Out
Suffragette

Changes: Replaced Pan and Tomorrowland with Inside Out and Suffragette

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
The Hateful Eight
Inside Out
Ricki and the Flash
Sing Street
Spectre

Changes: None

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
Pan

Changes: None

BEST SOUND MIXING:
In the Heart of the Sea
The Revenant
Spectre
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Tomorrowland

Changes: Replaced Jurassic World with In the Heart of the Sea

BEST SOUND EDITING:
In the Heart of the Sea
The Martian
Spectre
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Tomorrowland

Changes: Replaced Jurassic World with In the Heart of the Sea

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Jurassic World
The Martian
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Tomorrowland

Changes: None

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet
The Little Prince
Minions

Changes: Replaced Kung Fu Panda 3 with Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet

14 comments:

  1. Nice predictions. The best thing about this year for me is that there seems to be so many female-led films in the Oscar race, much more than last year. Best Actress will be packed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a feeling Best Actress will be reduced to 6 or 7 contenders, if that, but I hope I'm wrong.

      Delete
  2. These look good buddy! I need to just get mine done. I think I'm making a lot of changes...eek!

    But YAY to the Suffragette love now. I just feel like it's going to be huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pal! Haha, I struggled to make ANY changes at first. :P

      Suffragette feels like a sleeper, but I wonder if it only gets in BP with 5+ noms, like, for instance, An Education did.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of Suffragette yet but I LOVE Carey Mulligan. In fact, I'm super excited for Far from the Madding Crowd tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to see Far from the Madding Crowd. I'll see anything with Mulligan it!

      Delete
  4. Great predictions. There is some talk of Alicia Vikander going supporting for The Danish Girl though. Depending on how strong the category is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I almost put Vikander in supporting, but I'm waiting to see how that plays out.

      Delete
  5. My Best Actor predictions for now are exactly identical. I almost didn't include Redmayne, though. Partially because of how I was left soured by both how he won Best Actor over Keaton and campaigned like a madman for that award and also because The Danish Girl was in development hell which might be a bad sign. But if it does fare well, they'll probably eat his performance up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do like Redmayne as an actor, but I hate that his overbearing campaign won him an Oscar, especially over Keaton. I just hope he doesn't win another one this year.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I hope so too. Especially when we have actors that should already have Oscars by now like Michael Fassbender (my favorite actor) and Leo DiCaprio in the mix.

      Delete
    3. If Leo or Fassbender wins, I'll be thrilled. Hoping a little more for a DiCaprio victory at this point, though.

      Delete