Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Fisti Recast-athon


My buddy Drew at A Fistful of Films has created a fascinating blogathon. The task is simple: pick ANY Oscar-nominated female performance, and recast it with an actress of color (taking the time of release and the relevant working actresses into account, of course).

Who I'm Recasting:
Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married

Who I'm Replacing Her With:
Zoe Saldana

Though Anne Hathaway delivers a fantastic performance, I would love to see Zoe Saldana in the role of Kym, a recovering drug addict who returns home for her sister's wedding. This a ridiculously meaty role that, with a slight rewrite, could be an acting showcase for an actress of color, or any actress for that matter.

Saldana hasn't really been given a chance to shine, despite stealing all of her scenes in Out of the Furnace and giving a captivating mo-cap performance in Avatar. Kym is a character that would give her a chance to showcase her acting chops. The role requires ACTING, and Saldana has yet to be given the spotlight. Kym, I suspect, would be a great starting point for an even greater career.

On the bright side, Saldana is playing Nina Simone in Nina, and she will appear in Live by Night, Ben Affleck's next directorial project. Plus, she has three more Avatar movies coming. Her career is definitely on the rise, but it's a shame that her acting talents couldn't be used for Kym in Rachel Getting Married.

8 comments:

  1. Great pick! I'm not the biggest Saldana fan, but I think she just hasn't been given the right role yet. She probably could do wonders with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping she nails her performance in Nina.

      Delete
  2. Great re-cast. Hathaway did an amazing job with it, but Saldana in the role sounds great. Here's mine...

    http://dellonmovies.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-fisti-recast-athon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendell.

      Nice choices. I really want to see that version of Misery now.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this movie, and Zoe Saldana is an interesting choice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm dying to see Saldana in a role like this.

      Delete
  4. Rachel Getting Married was a curious movie and Anne Hathway was pretty good. I'd be a bit skeptical about this one on the grounds that the film already had a lot of racial diversity but Saldana could still work.

    I really got to get in on this one. It's pretty good that I managed to find an iconic literary male character that could be played by an actress of any race, but that wasn't exactly what Fisti was going for. I got to find a good actress of color and an Oscar-nominated role to cast her in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym could always be changed to an adopted daughter for Saldana to play her. Or maybe even Rachel's half sister on her mother's side. That would make things even more interesting.

      I almost went with a performance that wasn't Oscar-nominated, until I looked at Drew's guidelines again.

      Delete