Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Ten Most Interesting Actresses Working Today


My buddy Drew at A Fistful of Films shared his version of this list, and he suggested I do the same. Note: These aren't necessarily the BEST actresses working today, but simply the most interesting ones to me. They continue to pursue interesting projects and try new things.

Honorable Mention:

Juliette Binoche

She's my favorite actress, and she was amazing in Camille Claudel 1915 last year. Plus, she does have films like Clouds of Sils Maria, Nobody Wants the Night, and The Childhood of a Leader coming up next.

10. Amy Adams

She has a nice range that has garnered her five Oscar nominations, and it looks as if more are in the future. Apart from Big Eyes this year, she has Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Story of Your Life coming in 2016.

9. Saoirse Ronan

Since her Oscar-nominated performance in Atonement, she's been one of the best young actresses on the circuit. She has The Grand Budapest Hotel out now; and Lost River, Stockholm, Pennsylvania, and Brooklyn are coming soon.

8. Scarlett Johansson

After a few rocky years, she's back with Under the Skin and Lucy making the rounds. In addition, Avengers: Age of Ultron, her own Black Widow project, and Hail, Caesar! are on the way.

7. Rooney Mara

Her scene-stealing performance in The Social Network was the start of something special. While she appeared in three great movies last year, she has more interesting films on the way with Trash, Carol, Pan, The Secret Scripture, and a Terrence Malick film.

6. Tilda Swinton

She's the most seasoned actress in the top ten, and her Oscar-winning success in Michael Clayton has given her plenty of new intriguing projects. While you can see her in Only Lovers Left Alive, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Snowpiercer right now, she will also appear in The Zero Theorem, Hail, Caesar!, and Trainwreck.

5. Carey Mulligan

She's picked interesting projects since her breakthrough Oscar-nominated performance in An Education. More good things are likely coming with Suffragette and Far from the Madding Crowd.

4. Jessica Chastain

Her stellar year in 2011 hasn't diminished her efforts, as she has Interstellar, The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, A Most Violent Year, and Miss Julie being released this year. On top of that, she has Crimson Peak, Blonde, and The Zookeeper's Wife slated for 2015.

3. Keira Knightley

Known mostly for her work in period pieces, she continues to explore other types of roles, like those in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and this year's Begin Again. She has some intriguing roles lined up in the upcoming Laggies, The Imitation Game, and Everest.

2. Cate Blanchett

She's been so consistent over the years, and she isn't slowing down, despite her break from movies. Hot off her second Oscar win, she's already got projects like Carol, Cinderella, and two Terrence Malick films coming soon.

1. Marion Cotillard

The woman has been unstoppable ever since she won an Oscar for La Vie en Rose. Apart from her wonderful performance in The Immigrant this year, she also has Two Days, One Night, Macbeth, and The Little Prince on the way.

18 comments:

  1. I just knew Juliette Binoche would be on your list :) I haven't seen all her recent output, my favorites are Certified Copy, Caché, and the films she did with Kieslowski and Leos Carax. I love you include the projects these actresses have on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! Ha, she HAD to be. :)

      Delete
  2. Great choices all around, especially number one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the actresses on this list but I am more glad to see Amy Adams on this list. Her versatility is the reason why she is my favourite actress. Nice List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Knew you'd be pleased about Adams. She really is a brilliant actress.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I love Keira Knightly, although a lot of people seem to hate on her a little just lately. Amy Adams is a great addition to your list too. I only really discovered her recently but she's been great in everything that I've seen.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! For all the great work she's done, Knightley tends to get overlooked. I love most of her work. Adams has been rewarded more, but she's always reliable.

      Delete
  5. I love this, and I love how our top two and our #5 are exactly the same, and our lists match up minus two (three if you count our runners-up). I love that you mention Binoche. She was on my initial list of twenty. Narrowing that down was so hard.

    Thanks for the link :-D I'm glad you put this together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, and you're welcome! :)

      Yeah, we're very close here. I couldn't believe our lists were that similar. Fanning, Wasikowska and Seydoux were all in the running as well.

      Delete
  6. You have a lot of the same ones Fisti did! Great list, I love that you included Saoirse, I absolutely adore her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I warned him that my list would be close to his, but I had no idea they'd be *this* close. It seems like Elle Fanning is becoming more of the next big thing, though I've always been more partial to Saoirse.

      Delete
  7. Another great list! Obviously, I love that our dear Marion comes in at number one. She's just the best. And Mulligan and Chastain... they're such dolls, I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Ahh, Marion. She's been killing it for years. And Mulligan and Chastain are awesome! Really looking forward to their upcoming projects.

      Delete
  8. Oooh I LOVE most of your picks, nice that you included Saoirse Ronan who's quite under-appreciated. She definitely has come into her own now that she's older, I hope to see more of her work! The only one I'm not too fond of is Rooney Mara, she has yet to wow me in everything I've seen her in. She seems rather cold to me, in person and on screen. As for Knightley, I like her in some stuff but I'm kind of bored seeing her. I wish Hollywood would utilize her peers more like Sophia Myles, Romola Garai or even Felicity Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope Saoirse continues to get interesting roles. Yeah, Mara can come off cold in person, but I do love her work. Haha, Knightley took a whole year off for you in 2013. ;) Oh, I'd love to see Myles, Garai and Jones in more prominent roles!

      Delete
  9. Saoirse Ronan is my choice as talent worth watching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! Can't argue with it. :)

      Delete