Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Consider: The Ginger & Rosa Girls

Englert and Fanning give awardworthy performances.

In honor of my pal Fisti's week of Elle Fanning, I thought I'd quickly spotlight the great work by Fanning and her co-star Alice Englert in Ginger & Rosa.

The film, written and directed by Sally Potter, features excellent production values, including brilliant cinematography and wonderful production design and costume work. However, the highlight of this slightly underwhelming drama is the performance of each title character. As Ginger, Fanning is at her best, proving she can tackle a serious leading role and do a fantastic job. As Rosa, Englert has the thankless job of being secondary to Ginger, but she completely won me over in her smaller amount of screen time. Apparently, this film was eligible for the Academy Awards last year, which rules it out this year, but there is still hope at some of the critics' awards. Here's hoping these ladies get some well-deserved recognition.

8 comments:

  1. YAY! And thanks for the shout out. I hope Fanning can nab something this year, outside of a possible Fisti nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :) A Fisti nomination would be great! I'm not sure if she'll hang around on mine or not.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one. I think it's Elle Fanning's best performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on Fanning's performance. She was wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I was impressed by Elle Fanning in Somewhere, though I'm not at all fond of the indulgent film. I'm intrigued by the premise of this, sounds like it could be quite heartbreaking. Oh, and there's Alessandro Nivola in here too, such an underrated actor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Nivola was good, but I was more impressed by Fanning and Englert.

      Delete
  4. I really need to see this, it's literally gathering dust in my room and I love Elle. I wish I had like, 48h in a day to watch all the movies out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you get to watch it soon. Yes, more time for watching movies! :D

      Delete