Tuesday, July 30, 2013

2 Blog Awards… and a Black Sheep


Ruth at FlixChatter has graciously awarded me the Sunshine Award and the WordPress Family award. I'm happy to accept both, even if I don't blog on WordPress. Since I read a number of blogs that use it, I'll settle for being a black sheep in the WordPress Family award-winning group. If Gore Verbinski can win an Oscar, then this doesn't seem too outrageous. Let's get to it, shall we?


Award Rules:

• Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog.
• Link to the person who nominated you.
• Answer 10 questions about yourself
(use these or come up with your own).
• Nominate 10 bloggers.
• Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs,
letting them know they have been nominated.

Questions: (combination of Ruth's and some of my own)

1. Favorite actor (who's not a household name yet)?


Anthony Mackie. This is an actor who stood toe-to-toe with Ryan Gosling (in Half Nelson) and Jeremy Renner (in The Hurt Locker) in two Oscar-nominated performances. Mackie doesn't need the spotlight, though. He quietly draws you in with a measured subtly and authenticity.

2. Favorite performance in the last 10 years that no one saw?



Johnny Depp in The Libertine. His prologue and epilogue scenes are fine on their own, but he owns this movie. Dumped at the end of 2005, it's too bad this film didn't get a proper release.

3. Favorite question?


What's your favorite movie?

4. Favorite number?


10. Probably because I love top 10 lists.

5. Favorite color?


Blue. Not sure why, but Kieslowski's film might have something to do with it.

6. Favorite sport?


I go back and forth between basketball and tennis. I watch both a lot, and play occasionally. Nothing is as thrilling as watching a great tennis match, so I'll say tennis.

7. Black-and-white or color films?


Black-and-white. Color is nice to look at, but so are classic film noirs, such as The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity and The Third Man. Give me chiaroscuro lighting over color any day.

8. My passion?


Movies, and the Academy Awards. There are bad films and horrible Oscar wins, but I'm fascinated by both. Plus, there are still great films and, on occasion, some awesome Oscar victories (above).

9. Favorite album?


Rain Dogs. It's Tom Waits' most focused album, yet there is plenty of variety.

10. Favorite soundtrack from 2013?


Spring Breakers - Cliff Martinez, Skrillex, The Black Keys, Ellie Goulding, Britney Spears… What's not to like?

Blogs I'm passing this award to:


*I gave it to 5 WordPress blogs and 5 Blogger ones.*

10 comments:

  1. Awesome Josh! I like Anthony Mackie too, glad to see him getting more roles. Fun reading your answers. Now, I prefer color, but I can see why you love black-and-white films, they can be even more evocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! It's great that he's getting more roles, but he still hasn't really broken out. Color films can be gorgeous, but if I had to choose one, it'd be black-and-white. Besides, we already see in color. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Depp was so good in Libertine. Shame all of his recent movies that featured actual good work from him flopped so bad :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought he was better in that than in any of his Oscar-nominated performances. I know, right? Most people don't see his best work.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the award!
    I like tennis too, too bad Federer is having a mediorce year by his high standards. It seems there are no more records for him to break? Let's see what he can do with that new, bigger racquet.
    There's actually a Tom Waits-ish track on Trance soundtrack. Granted a bit of an imitation of his style, but I quite liked Sandman by Kirsty McGee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris!

      Yeah. I've been a Federer fan since I started watching tennis in 2008. (I wish I'd been a tennis fan when he was in his prime.) Now, I usually count on him to make the semis at best. I've never been a Nadal fan, so I've been rooting for Djokovic a lot lately. :)

      Just listened to Sandman, and you're right. It sounds like Waits, but that's not a bad thing. ;)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Josh! Thanks so much for thinking of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! You're very welcome! :)

      Delete