Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How to Lose Oscar Cred in 10 Years

Kate Hudson was nominated for an Oscar over a decade ago.

My entry into A Fistful of Films' blogathon. Please excuse the terrible pun in the title of this post. I just couldn't resist.

In 2001, Kate Hudson became an Oscar nominee for her terrific performance in Almost Famous. She had it made in Hollywood, and I'm sure she had a great many projects coming in. Unfortunately, she gambled and lost. When the remake of The Four Feathers flopped, she began appearing mostly in romantic comedies and thrillers, among which include such films as The Skeleton Key, Bride Wars, My Best Friend's Girl, and Something Borrowed. She has since been in some award-winning films like Nine and The Killer Inside Me, but her career has never gotten back on track. Next up, she appears in Mira Nair's thriller The Reluctant Fundamentalist. I hope she gets back to doing films like Almost Famous, because she was fantastic once upon a time. 

Note: I wrote a longer post for my blogathon entry, but I forgot that one's pick must be an Oscar nominee. Look for that unused post next week.

16 comments:

  1. I hate it when actors get lost due to poor career choices. I adore Kate Hudson, I think she's very likeable on screen, and good for "silly" rom coms, but can definitely do better than that. She's in Glee now... dances like hell and has a killer voice - best thing on the show right now, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Didn't know she was in Glee.

      Delete
  2. That pun wasn't terrible! I laughed. Anyways, when I hear about someone losing Oscar cred, Kate Hudson comes to mind instantly. She deserved her nom, she was great in Almost Famous, but she's done NOTHING since then to even make me think she's a good actress. It's frustrating, because obviously she has talent, she showed it once. I don't think she'll ever do anything as great as Almost Famous again. She's like an Oscar version of a one hit wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks. "An Oscar version of a one hit wonder." Sad, but true.

      Delete
  3. I really like her - her work in Almost Famous was fantastic. While she obviously disappeared a little when it comes to award attention, I must say I really love Skeleton Key, shame she didn't do more thrillers and mostly works on comedies now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Can't comment on Skeleton Key, because I haven't seen it yet. I was just listing it as a thriller she's done.

      Delete
  4. I've never been fond of her as an actress, she just strikes me as pretty but no substance. "An Oscar version of a one hit wonder." is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked her in Almost Famous, and I didn't mind her in Nine or How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Overall, I'm not impressed though.

      Delete
  5. I second Ruth's statement. Even in Almost Famous she wasn't Oscar enough for me. Cameron Crowe did that. Her choices have been awful. She needs to look at her How To Lose co-star and realise the route to acting happiness is through playing psychos. She needs to aim for all those roles that might ordinarily have been offered to Juliette Lewis or Hillary Swank and steal them away with bold and brave performances. At this point I think even her mother could do a better job at getting people in to cinemas for a romcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Fair enough.

      Those roles would be interesting. She should get on that.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I loved Almost Famous but I never really saw the fuss with Ms Hudson, but then she wasn't my kind of bandaid.

      I think she could certainly give serious acting a go. If Halle Berry can get an Oscar anyone can.

      Delete
    3. Haha, I'd replace Berry with Jennifer Hudson in that statement.

      Delete
    4. She's the one who got an Oscar for being fat right?

      Delete
    5. I guess you could say that. She's the singer from American Idol who won for Dreamgirls. Though, she is a spokesperson for Weight Watchers now, if that's who you were thinking of.

      Delete
    6. Doh! Man, if that text had inflection, that would've been hilarious. That's a massive FAIL on my part though. ;)

      Delete