Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Actors, AKA Musicians

Russell Crowe singing.

Inspired by Fisti's post on singers turned actors at A Fistful of Films.

Many actors seek to branch out, dabbling in writing, directing, producing and such. But some of them play in bands or even sing. For this post, I primarily selected actors who became musicians, and not the other way around, like Frank Sinatra, Will Smith, etc. I even threw in a couple of classic actors for good measure. There are obviously several I didn't mention, but I tried to make some less obvious choices.



5 Favorites
Charlotte Gainsbourg

Known for her roles in Antichrist, I'm Not There, Melancholia, and 21 Grams
 
Set Yourself On Fire (bonus track) by Charlotte Gainsbourg on Grooveshark

Ryan Gosling (Dead Man's Bones)
Known for his roles in Blue Valentine, Drive, Half Nelson, and The Notebook
 


Renee Olstead
Known for her role in the TV series Still Standing and cameo in 13 Going on 30
 
Summertime by Renee Olstead on Grooveshark

Zooey Deschanel (She & Him)
Known for her roles in Elf, (500) Days of Summer, and Fox's New Girl 



Marilyn Monroe
Known for her roles in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Seven Year Itch, and Some Like It Hot
 
Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend by Marilyn Monroe on Grooveshark

Really?
Eddie Murphy
Known for his roles in Beverly Hills Cop, Dreamgirls, Shrek, and Trading Places
 
Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy on Grooveshark

Robert Downey Jr.
Known for his roles in Chaplin, Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes, and Tropic Thunder



Melanie Laurent
Known for her roles in Beginners, The Concert, and Inglourious Basterds
 
Circus by Melanie Laurent on Grooveshark

Toni Collette
Known for her roles in About a Boy, Little Miss Sunshine, and The Sixth Sense



Robert Mitchum
Known for his roles in Cape Fear, The Night of the Hunter, and Out of the Past

That Man Right There by Robert Mitchum on Grooveshark

And...no. Just...no.
Edward Furlong
Known for his roles in American History X and Terminator 2: Judgment Day


Bonus:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

8 comments:

  1. You should do a whole week dedicated to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I probably could. Hmmm...I might do a part 2, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. This is really nice! I already liked Melanie Laurent, Charlotte Gainsborough, Ryan Gosling and Robert Downey Jr. as singers. Deschanel is not really my thing, neither is Toni Colette, but they both had nice voices.

    I had NO idea Mitchum sang! He has precisely the kind of voice and style I'd expect, really cool. As for Marilynn, she was one hell of a performer. And that video of Deschanel and Levitt is way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not a fan of RDJ's and Toni Collette's music, but I love their acting.

      I was surprised about Mitchum too. Of course, his singing in The Night of the Hunter just demonstrates his cool voice.

      Delete
  3. I really love RDJ's singing, his album is a bit weird but the covers he did in Ally Mcbeal were excellent. Love She and Him, in fact I tihnk Deschanel is much better singer than actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like RDJ's Ally McBeal covers, but that's about it. I do agree on Deschanel. She's got a lovely voice.

      Delete
  4. I heard about a few of these but Robert Mitchum?? Wow, I had no idea. As for Crowe, I actually bought his first album when he was still with the TOFOG band, I like his gruff voice as a singer, quite sexy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was most surprised by Mitchum. Well, Edward Furlong was quite a shock too. ;)

      Haha. I like a couple of Crowe's songs, but not enough to buy one his albums. He's still my favorite working actor though. :)

      Delete