Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Liebster Blog Award


Sofia of Film Flare (check out her awesome blog if you haven't yet) has awarded me the Liebster Blog Award. To accept this honor, I must tell you 11 things about myself, answer 11 questions from the person who tagged me, pass it on to 11 people, and ask them 11 questions. Here goes nothing.

UPDATE: Toby at blah blah blah gay (hurry, go check out his blog) also tagged me, so I've answered his questions after the cut.

UPDATE #2: Ruth at FlixChatter (head over there if you haven't already) tagged me as well. I've added answers to her questions below Toby's after the cut.

11 Random Things About Me:
1. I just finished a 4-year degree in 5 years because I changed my major from Creative Writing to Broadcasting and Electronic Media (with an emphasis in Film Techniques and Technology).
2. I stay up late, but I also like getting up early, so my sleeping schedule is a bit tricky.
3. I lost 70 pounds mostly over the summer before I started college (and I've kept it off).
4. My current ringtone is "Teenage Color" by College.


5. I am part Irish, Scottish, German, and Native American.
6. I HAVE to have a giant cup of coffee (with 2 sugar substitutes and cream) in the morning. Otherwise, I feel sluggish all day.
7. I follow the progression of the Oscar season almost every day. As the year gets closer to December, I check Awards Daily and In Contention multiple times a day.
8. I read Paul Auster's City of Glass a few months ago, and it's now one of my favorite books.
9. I'm currently in my second stint with braces and will probably be getting oral surgery (to realign my teeth) in a month or two in the midst of job searching. Ugh. It's frustrating to say the least.


10. I bleed blue. Long story short: this just means I'm a huge fan of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, whose basketball team (above) just won its 8th national championship (punches the air).
11. After annotating the first two acts last Fall, I'm slowly getting back to work on the third act of my feature-length screenplay Closing Time.

11 Questions by Film Flare
Most embarrassing moment in a movie theatre.
Does falling asleep count? If so, guilty. In 2006, I dozed for a good twenty minutes or so during Charlotte's Web. I've never even gone back to see what I missed.

Most cherished memory of a cinematic experience.


A midnight screening of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace when I was 10. The film is not important, but the experience was amazing. Watching Jedis fight - really fight - in their prime was awesome. Darth Maul is still one the baddest villains of all-time. The fight sequences were incredible and my eyes were glued to the screen. When it came out on VHS (remember those things?), I rented it and watched it on replay the entire weekend. This film was a major part of my childhood (as the original trilogy was), and I cherish it for that.

Favorite book to film adaptation.
Heart of Darkness, which was adapted into Apocalypse Now. The horror of the jungle and the darkness that encompasses Marlow in the novella really translate well to Coppola's great film. The look of the film seems like it was pulled right out of Joseph Conrad's descriptive passages, and the film also feels like an added experience to the book. They complement each other very well.

A film that scares/scared the hell out of you.
Sleepaway Camp. Not heard of it? Well, the ending literally left me shaking. It was so shocking. SPOILERS (highlight to read): At the end of the film, the killer is revealed to be a girl. She stands there with her face smeared with blood, naked and - SHE'S A MAN! END OF SPOILERS. It really freaked me out because how can you see something like that coming?

A scene from a film that popped into your mind... just now!


Too many to choose. Ok, the opening scene in Gangs of New York. I love the build-up to the fight, and what a battle that ensues.

Is there a review/article that has been laying around in your drafts for a long time?
Yes. I have an article on film in 2007 that I started over a month ago, but I haven't looked at it since.

A film you're looking forward to watch (unreleased).
Les Miserables. Or as I call it: The Return of Russell Crowe. I really hope this works. The cast looks great, but it's hard to tell whether the material will translate well in this new version or not. It could be awesome though.

Musicals: yay or nay?
Yay! I love classics like West Side Story, Oliver!, and Singin' in the Rain and even newer ones like Once and Moulin Rouge!. What's not to like?

What was for you the most memorable use of sound (song or effect) in a film?


The theme from Once Upon a Time in the West. Just beautiful.

A little known actor or actress that you love.


Umm…I'll go with Brady Corbet. He recently appeared in small (but key) roles in Melancholia and Martha Marcy May Marlene. He's also been in Funny Games (the 2007 remake), Thirteen, and Mysterious Skin.

Whose life you'd like to see depicted in film?


Shane MacGowan. As the frontman of The Pogues, this guy wrote some brilliant songs and essentially created the Irish punk genre. Sadly, his troubled bout with drugs and alcohol has left him with extremely slurred speech today. In his heyday, he idolized the Sex Pistols and fused that music with traditional Celtic folk music. Bands like The Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly owe the influential Irish musician a great deal. I'm not sure who could play him, but I'd love to see that movie.

11 Questions by blah blah blah gay 
1. If the events of Purple Rose of Cairo could really happen, which movie character would you want to walk off of the screen in to your miserable little life?


Chuckie Sullivan from Good Will Hunting. Best friend ever depicted on film.

2. If you were marooned on another planet with a limited space hard drive on your solar powered Macbook Pro (I'm sure Steve Jobs had them working on this before he died) what three movies would you like to have in your videos folder?


The Apartment, Casablanca, and The Philadelphia Story. I love art-house cinema, but, in terms of rewatchability, I'd take these every time.

3. Is reading 50 Shades of Grey on public transport a badge of pride, a cry for help, a statement of sexual dissatisfaction or a label that screams "easily led by media fads"?
Hmm. I'll put it like this: it's badge of pride, but it's not one I'll be wearing.

4. If you had to live in the world of crime fiction would you prefer to be in an Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler or Steig Larsson book?
Raymond Chandler.

5. You're stranded for 227 days in a boat with one animal, do you think a Bengal Tiger would eat you?
No. I'd talk it to death with ramblings on film.

6. What superhero franchise would you give a dark and depressing Batman style reboot to on the big screen?
Fantastic Four, if it were possible.

7. Gotham Central is a series of comic books about the lives of the gotham City Police Department and Death Comes To Pemberley is a detective novel set in the world of Pride & Prejudice, what fictional world would you like to see turned in to crime fiction and what type would it be?

This isn't technically a fictional world, and I'm not sure how it would work. But a detective novel set in the world of Titanic would be interesting.

8. Mint, Sage, Rosemary and Cinnamon, what flavour would you choose for your old fashioned tooth powder recipe?
Mint.

9. You're tasked with programming an independant film festival, what genre do you focus on? Documentary, Horror, Anime, Martial Arts or World Cinema?
World Cinema.

10. Witches, burn them at the stake or dunk them in the lake?
Dunk them.

11. Which city in Europe would you most like to visit during the 2012 London Olympics?
Dublin.

11 Questions by FlixChatter
1. Who’s your favorite movie actor who’s currently starring in a TV show?

Alec Baldwin. I don't watch much TV, but I love "30 Rock". And AB rocks.
 
2. Could you date someone who does not love movies?
Depends on the person.
 
3. What makes you want to have a movie blog?
I just want a place where I can share my thoughts on films I've seen and film in general, and a movie blog is the perfect outlet for that.
 
4. Which director/actor collaboration you’d like to see [it has to be people who have never worked together before]
Martin Scorsese and Ryan Gosling. It could be fantastic.
 
5. What dish are you good at making?
Scrambled eggs.
 
6. Any encounter with a celebrity you care to share?
I wish.
 
7. Since the Olympics is still going on, what’s your favorite movie set in London?


Dial M for Murder. Most of the film occurs in a London flat, but it's fascinating.
 
8. Which is your favorite movie writer [could be a journalist, novelist, etc.]
Guy Lodge. Check out his reviews and articles at Kris Tapley's In Contention.
 
9. Which do you prefer: sweltering heat vs. cool, rainy days?
Cool, rainy days. Love taking a long walk on days like those.
 
10. Favorite outfit/costume from a movie?


Ryan Gosling's duds in Drive. 

11. Which actor/actress you initially detest but then slowly warming up to [feel free to reverse the question, that is an actor you initially love but now can't stand]


I was underwhelmed with Jean Dujardin's performance in The Artist at first, but it's continuing to grow on me. I've only seen him in this and Little White Lies (which he's not in that much), but I'd say this counts.

11 Winners
I'm passing this award to these great blogs, and I recommend following them. Winners, remember it is strictly voluntary, so feel free to ignore this.

Alex at And So It Begins...
The Awards Nazi at The Awards Nazi
Louis at Best Actor
Allison at Cinema Becomes Her
Fisti at A Fistful of Films
Duncan at High on Celluloid
John at John Likes Movies
NeverTooEarlyMP at Never Too Early Movie Predictions
Trevor at Northwest Movies
Clayton at Such Moving Pictures
SDG at U, Me and Films

11 Questions
These questions shouldn't take too much of your time. I hope you participate, and I'm looking forward to reading your answers.

1. Do you prefer to see films alone or with others?
2. What is your movie snack?
3. Favorite movie character.
4. Favorite movie soundtrack.
5. If you could give any artist or film an Oscar, who/what would it be and why?
6. Favorite classic actor/actress.
7. Favorite modern actor/actress.
8. Name a musician you would like to see act some day.
9. Name your favorite director's worst film.
10. What is the best film you've ever seen in theaters?
11. Do you copy-and-paste your posts, or write them in Blogger?

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Josh! I'll post mine today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome man. Can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  2. Great answers! I agree about Heart of Darkness - Apocalypse now. Very good adaptation, though I liked the book ending a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hmm. I actually liked the movie ending more. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot Josh !! I will think about it and let you know if I am doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome SDG! If you decide to accept it, there's no hurry. Whenever you can get to it is fine.

      Delete
  4. Thanks man. I will post mine tomorrow.Oh and I slept through the entirety of Source Code and have sleep apnea so I have been known to snore. And I love Gangs of New York. I like it almost as much as Goodfellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome man. I know you haven't been blogging for long, but I love your blog. Looking forward to reading your answers.

      Well, at least you snored through those explosions. (There were explosions in Source Code, if you didn't go back and watch it again. :) ) I like Gangs of New York, but I think Goodfellas is far better.

      Delete
    2. Well thank you! I didn't watch it again even though I liked Duncan Jones previous film Moon a lot. And yeah Goodfellas is far better but Gangs of New York is a great film that gets a lot more shit that it deserves.

      Delete
    3. Don't mention it. I love all three of those movies, and Gangs of New York is undeserving of all the hate.

      Delete
  5. Man, Brady Corbett looks completey different from when I saw him in Mysterious Skin!
    I'd love to see Madonna act.
    Have you ever thought about seeing your own life on film? Who would play you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Madonna...I'll pass, but if she does, enjoy it. :)

      That's a tough one. Maybe Jack Lemmon. It think he was versatile enough that he could portray me. In terms of living actors, maybe Ryan Gosling - minus the six pack of course. (Those really are opposite ends of the spectrum, aren't they?)

      Delete
    2. Wait. Madonna was in Evita (1995). Haven't seen it though.

      Delete
  6. She was in movies but she has never acted. ba-dum ching.

    Sure Lemmon was more of a comedic actor but that's not to say Gosling couldn't pull off the same roles. Gosling could probably do anything, he seems to have that rare quality in a Hollywood actor - genuine talent. You'd be lucky to have him play you, he'd probably even lose the six-pack and wear braces for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm tired when I don't get a joke that great. :)

      Haha, well the braces aren't required for the film version. But Gosling is dedicated, so...

      Delete
    2. Exactly, he'd play you from birth onwards, no need for lousy child acors.

      Delete
    3. Don't know if I could watch that or not, but it sounds intriguing.

      Delete
  7. Hey Josh, I nominated you for this myself last week when writing my post but since then you've received it a dozen times I'm sure and I forgot to find another nominee. So anyway you've been nominated again and if you feel like answering some questions in the comments instead that'd be cool: http://blahblahblahgay.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/elevenses.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll post an update before the cut and add my answers at the bottom of the post soon then.

      Delete
  8. Great answers Josh. Your Titanic idea is incredibly intriguing. It could even tie in with the heart of the ocean, Jack and Rose as background characters, Billy Zane as a punching bag. Cool.

    I've never seen Philadelphia Story but if it's that watchable I should make the effort I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby. Do you like screwball comedies? If not, The Philadelphia Story might not be your kind of film. Of course, it does have Grant, Stewart, and Hepburn, so I'd recommend it regardless.

      Delete
  9. Thanks again for the shout out. I've been a little slow in posting lately, but it's nice to know that people still remember me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  10. Awesome Josh! WOW, you lost 70 pounds?? Good for you and for keeping it off, too!

    Great answers on all the questions, I should check out 'Dial M for Murder' now that you mentioned it. Oh surely that Scorpion jacket in Drive is on a lot of people's wish lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Definitely check out Dial M for Murder. It's not for everybody, but I love it! :)

      Delete